Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Ramp Revisited... a newbie's experiance - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Ramp Revisited... a newbie's experiance (/Thread-Ramp-Revisited-a-newbie-s-experiance)

Ramp Revisited... a newbie's experiance - DWaldman - 11-19-2015

30 days in, I decided to revisit the ramp feature on my S9 Autoset (9.6-17, EPR 2) sleep study called for CPAP at 11.5. I tried the ramp feature when i first got my machine, and hated it. I saw that many on the board did not use the ramp, so I figured my experiance was the norm. Now, with some time under my belt, and a bit more used to the effects, I decided to revisit ramp. When I first put on my Aloha pillow mask, the machine goes to 9.6. I push back at that, have some slight full chest discomfort, but all is well with a few open mouth exhales. I settle in, and sleep well, have good numbers, but the discomfort occurs every time I get up for a B.R. break.
So I decided to revisit ramp.
Here is what I did: put the machine into autostart mode, put on the mask and watched the meter. At about 7.5 breathing felt natural. I set the ramp start to 7.5, and the time to 5 minutes. (that is well within the time it takes for me to get settled into bed.) WHAT A DIFFERANCE! No chest discomfort, no need for exhale relief, and I fell into a good sleep. Some of you might want to revisit ramp, though YMMV.

RE: Ramp Revisited... a newbie's experiance - Tacoma Droner - 11-19-2015

Huh! Really? Well, great! Congrats

And no need for exhale relief? So did you set your EPR to OFF, because I gotta admit my first instinct would be to go in the opposite direction to EPR 3. But like you say, YMMV. Reading the threads on this forum is proof of that!

RE: Ramp Revisited... a newbie's experiance - OpalRose - 11-19-2015

DWaldman,
Hey, everyone is different. If using ramp helps you before falling alsleep, then use it.
Same goes with the EPR setting. This therapy is hard enough to adapt to, so use the comfort features available to you.

Now I don't like the ramp, but I'm just used to starting at my minimum pressure. It feels right to me. I also use an exhale relief of 2.

RE: Ramp Revisited... a newbie's experiance - PoolQ - 11-20-2015

I have always used ramp, played with settings a lot to get it right. A difference of 0.2 starting pressure made a difference for me

RE: Ramp Revisited... a newbie's experiance - zonk - 11-20-2015

(11-19-2015, 07:20 PM)DWaldman Wrote: Some of you might want to revisit ramp, though YMMV.
Ramp doesn't do anything for me but been doing CPAP for the last 5 years
Whatever works for you, good luck

RE: Ramp Revisited... a newbie's experiance - DeepBreathing - 11-20-2015

The ramp's there if you need it. If you don't need it, turn it off. I have mine set on 5 minutes which is usually enough for me to get off to sleep.