Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Is this normal? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Is this normal? (/Thread-Is-this-normal--11750)

Pages: 1 2

Is this normal? - lngtrm1 - 11-20-2015

Hello,

I have been using my Airsense 10 for three weeks now with the dream wear nasal mask.

One thing I noticed early is that my throat somehow closes between my throat and mouth. When the air is flowing in my nose it doesn't come out of my mouth? I can open my mouth and stick out my tongue and nothing. But, if I swallow or make an effort to open the pathway and it does, the air flows out of my mouth like you would expect.

It's currently on auto ramp and on higher pressure (10 max) I get an occasional leak from my throat to my mouth.

Does anyone else experience this? Seems really weird compared to what I am reading.Thinking-about

Thanks for any help or insight.

RE: Is this normal? - OpalRose - 11-20-2015

Ingtrm1,
The air pressure is going where it should, from your nose to your lungs.

Your throat is not really closing, but you must be making a good seal with your tongue. (Which is a good thing)

You don't want the air flowing out of your mouth!

Sounds as if things are working as they should.

RE: Is this normal? - Tacoma Droner - 11-20-2015

Not weird at all. Totally normal. Although, actually, it IS totally weird isn't it? The magic of CPAP!Banana

RE: Is this normal? - trish6hundred - 11-20-2015

Hi lngtrm1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are off to a good start and that you are getting a good seal.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: Is this normal? - GPSMapNut - 11-20-2015

You are off to a good start!
It is not only normal but also desired! People who can't do that often have to wear a full face mask.

RE: Is this normal? - zonk - 11-20-2015

(11-20-2015, 12:31 PM)lngtrm1 Wrote: It's currently on auto ramp and on higher pressure (10 max) I get an occasional leak from my throat to my mouth.
Auto Ramp goes for thirty minutes at lower start pressure or until the machine detect sleep onset and pressure increase to set pressure
At lower start pressure, I would feel not getting enough air but been doing CPAP for the last 5 years YMMV

As you're using nasal mask, you'll need keep mouth closed and only breathe in and out through your nose
Chinstrap can helps keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leak or in some cases full face mask might be an option to consider
There 4 AirSense 10 models, which one is yours ... AirSense 10 Series Identification:
[Image: ResMed-AirSense-10.png]
[should say "AutoSet, AutoSet for Her, Elite or CPAP"]

RE: Is this normal? - Stiffdoc - 11-20-2015

What you are describing is totally normal. Sticking out your tongue elevates the back floor of your pharynx (the part of your throat between the palate and the epiglottis), narrowing this area, and blocking the airflow. Stick with it! Everything is working fine.

RE: Is this normal? - lngtrm1 - 11-21-2015

Hi all, thanks for the information. Maybe I am overthinking this, (its happened before Thinking-about )

My airway (throat?) actually does close between the nasal passage and my mouth. I can open up my mouth, stick out my tongue, move it around etc, no air escapes even when its ramped up to 10. The air is flowing from my nose to my lungs and back without ever exiting my mouth.

I can open that passage by swallowing or something but I tried looking in the mirror with a flashlight and sure enough, both sides of the back of my throat close.

It seems to me if it didn't your cheeks would be full of air all the time..(chipmunk?) so I am not sure how one would ever breath through their mouth...

Or maybe I am just built for underwater exploration or something...Smile

RE: Is this normal? - cate1898 - 11-21-2015

Welcome to ApneaBoard lngtrm1!! Glad you found us here.

Sounds like you are adapting to the DreamWear mask just fine! I tried it last night for the first time and found my leak rate was at it's lowest.

You might want to download SleepyHead (link at top of forum page) and monitor your data.

RE: Is this normal? - lngtrm1 - 11-21-2015

(11-21-2015, 04:28 PM)cate1898 Wrote: Welcome to ApneaBoard lngtrm1!! Glad you found us here.

Sounds like you are adapting to the DreamWear mask just fine! I tried it last night for the first time and found my leak rate was at it's lowest.

You might want to download SleepyHead (link at top of forum page) and monitor your data.

Thanks,

The airsense 10 has a link to a web page that scores each night. I get a 100 every night. I must be pretty lucky to get it as right as I have...

I tried downloading the RESmed s/w and it wasnt that useful unless I spend some real effort at understanding it. Is the sleepyhead much better at easy interpretation?

Thanks again,