Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New user having trouble accessing data from older Resmed machine - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New user having trouble accessing data from older Resmed machine (/Thread-New-user-having-trouble-accessing-data-from-older-Resmed-machine)

Pages: 1 2

New user having trouble accessing data from older Resmed machine - Jcwbullseye - 11-23-2015

I recently purchased a used Resmed Autoset Spirit. It doesn't appear to have a SD card. The manual mentions cables, modems etc for a clinician's use. In order to effectively use the machine it seems to be very important to monitor the data. Any help I can get from this Forum on how to access the data would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

RE: New user having trouble accessing data from older Resmed machine - big_dave - 11-24-2015

Welcome
I'm afraid that trying to get data from your machine will be troublesome. It does have some limited efficacy data, but the comparable S9 and Airsense 10 machines provide far greater detail in their data.

Do you know if you have the S7 Autoset Spirit or the S8 Autoset Spirit? Here's a quick way to find out if your machine is an S7 or an S8. The S7 machines have a power switch on the back near the power cord, but S8 machines do not have a power switch.

If your machine is an S7, you will need a null modem cable (a cheap, standard cable), an old version of ResScan that will be impossible to find, and possibly a computer with an old version of Windows. If you have an S8, you will need an oddball data card that is NOT an SD card (go to the supplier list and search supplier no. 10 for ResMed S8 Series ResScan Data Cards) and an oddball data card reader (search supplier no. 1 for ResMed ResScan™ Smart Card Reader for S8™ and S8™ II Machines--yes, you have to go to two different suppliers!) You will also need to install ResScan (the current version still works with the S8).

Too much trouble.

I went through the same thing myself. I started with an S7 Autoset Respond that I used for my first month. I actually went through the trouble of downloading the data from it using the cable. The download was successful, but the machine turned out to be a brick that only recorded compliance data.

RE: New user having trouble accessing data from older Resmed machine - DeepBreathing - 11-24-2015

G'day JCWBullseye, welcome to Apnea Board. A quick look at the Googlesphere came across this user manual for an S8 Spirit: http://www.resmed.com/int/assets/documents/product/s8_autoset_spirit/user_guide/338193_s8-autoset-spirit_user-guide_row_eng.pdf It appears that machine requires a "data card module" to be installed before you can use a data card. And as Big Dave said, it's not a standard SD, it's a proprietary card which needs a proprietary card reader.

The Spirit (whichever version) is now obsolete. I'd seriously consider dumping it and getting an open box or gently used S9 from supplier number 2 (See the supplier list at the top of the page).

RE: New user having trouble accessing data from older Resmed machine - big_dave - 11-24-2015

(11-24-2015, 12:21 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: It appears that machine requires a "data card module" to be installed before you can use a data card.

The data card module is nothing more than a plain piece of plastic with a slot in it. It does not include any wiring or electronics. Most S8's come with the data card module, but some have a cover without the slot. The electrical contacts for reading the data card are on the S8's motherboard.

RE: New user having trouble accessing data from older Resmed machine - Jcwbullseye - 11-24-2015

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will look into getting a S9. Until then, I am recording the information from the machine daily. Of that information, LEAK, API, AI, HI, USAGE... What do I need to monitor closely & what, ideally, should these readings be?

RE: New user having trouble accessing data from older Resmed machine - cate1898 - 11-24-2015

Welcome to ApneaBoard Jcwbullseye!

There's a link near the top of the page for SleepyHead. It's a software most of us on here use to analyze our data. There are YouTube videos I have found which help a bit on how to read SH. If you search there are other sources that help a user with SH.

RE: New user having trouble accessing data from older Resmed machine - Sleepster - 11-24-2015

(11-24-2015, 07:52 AM)Jcwbullseye Wrote: What do I need to monitor closely & what, ideally, should these readings be?

1. Compliance. Make sure the hours used match the hours you're in bed. If you're sleeping without the machine it can't do anything for you.

2. Leaks. Leak rate needs to be below 20 L/min or so. Check the leak graph to make sure you don't have periods of significant leak.

3. AHI. Under 5 is a good rule of thumb.

You probably can't look at a leak graph, so you just have to go by the leak statistics given by the machine, such as average value, maximum value, and 90th percentile.

RE: New user having trouble accessing data from older Resmed machine - trish6hundred - 11-24-2015

Hi Jcwbullseye,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: New user having trouble accessing data from older Resmed machine - Jcwbullseye - 11-25-2015

(11-24-2015, 08:06 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 07:52 AM)Jcwbullseye Wrote: What do I need to monitor closely & what, ideally, should these readings be?

1. Compliance. Make sure the hours used match the hours you're in bed. If you're sleeping without the machine it can't do anything for you.

2. Leaks. Leak rate needs to be below 20 L/min or so. Check the leak graph to make sure you don't have periods of significant leak.

3. AHI. Under 5 is a good rule of thumb.

You probably can't look at a leak graph, so you just have to go by the leak statistics given by the machine, such as average value, maximum value, and 90th percentile.

Thank you for the advice. If my AHI is above the 5, what should I be adjusting?

RE: New user having trouble accessing data from older Resmed machine - zonk - 11-25-2015

(11-25-2015, 01:31 AM)Jcwbullseye Wrote: Thank you for the advice. If my AHI is above the 5, what should I be adjusting?
AHI (Apnea Hypopnea Index) = AI (Apnea Index) + HI (Hypopnea Index)
you'll need find AHI, AI and HI
also pressure and leak shown on the screen sleep report
the autoset spirit report leak in seconds, below 0.4 L/s (24 L/m) considered acceptable (see the clinical manual for leak rates)

as for S9, S9 Escape and S9 Escape Auto are not full data capable machines and without central apnea detections algorthim
[Image: s9-autoset-models.jpg]