Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Traveling with CPAP/Bi-PAP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Traveling with CPAP/Bi-PAP (/Thread-Traveling-with-CPAP-Bi-PAP)

Pages: 1 2

Traveling with CPAP/Bi-PAP - 4GadgetMan - 11-25-2015

Hi everyone,

My mother has a ResMed AirSense 10 and I have a ResMed AirCurve 10 S and she was hassled by TSA when she just recently flew down for the holidays. They said that the device was not on their approved CPAP travel list.

I could have sworn there was a place that had a specific Travel Tag for ResMed Devices to attach to the carry bag of the machine, has anyone seen this? I know I can buy a generic one, would just prefer one that is by ResMed if possible.

Thanks,

4GadgetMan

RE: Traveling with CPAP/Bi-PAP - Stiffdoc - 11-25-2015

Never had a problem, and I'm on ~50 airplanes per year. If you happen to get TSA pre check, they just X-ray it. Non-pre check, they do an explosives swab on the unit.

RE: Traveling with CPAP/Bi-PAP - DumfriesDik - 11-26-2015

(11-25-2015, 08:05 PM)4GadgetMan Wrote: They said that the device was not on their approved CPAP travel list.

Good grief, computer says no. I feel your pain.

RE: Traveling with CPAP/Bi-PAP - PaulaO2 - 11-26-2015

A tag in that situation would not have helped. Anyone can have one made. If they would not believe the manufacturers stickers on the back of the machine as well as the labels on the top, a tag would not have done anything. This would have been one of the rare situations where a letter from a doctor or the prescription would have perhaps come in handy. I typically do not approve of folks waving them around but there are times when it is necessary.

What it sounds like is someone was bored or had recently read up on CPAPs or something and thought they would go Easter Egg hunting. TSA has built their service, if you can call it that, on rewarding any and all possible finds rather than rewarding ways to smooth the process along. Fingernail clippers that are larger than normal? Easter egg. CPAP that isn't on some obscure list someone actually bothered to memorize? Easter egg.

What I would have done, in my sarcastic mannerism, is insist they plug it in. I would have told them how to do so and how to read the screen. I would have also directed them to look up the ResMed website to update themselves on a machine that has been out for, what, a year now? I would then, if further bothered by them, I would have insisted on their supervisor's supervisor. And possibly the Conflict Resolution Officer (CRO). They are typically for airlines but in that case, since I would also be wanting to bring this dangerous leaf blower onboard, it would be nice to get everyone in one place as I educate.

RE: Traveling with CPAP/Bi-PAP - cant_sleep_in_nj - 11-26-2015

pack it in your bag and check it. been doing this for a long time and many flights. never an issue

RE: Traveling with CPAP/Bi-PAP - justMongo - 11-26-2015

It should not have to be checked. And, as a medical device, it is exempt from the carry-on bag count.
Checking it invites the airline losing it. That's why flights are late: It takes time to lose all that luggage.

TSA (Thugs Standing Around) is likley on heightened alert with the holidays and recent world events.

My nephew is a TSA screener at SFO. He's a good kid; but giving TSA the status of Federal Agents when they have never been through the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) is just wrong.

RE: Traveling with CPAP/Bi-PAP - PaulaO2 - 11-27-2015

(11-26-2015, 09:41 AM)cant_sleep_in_nj Wrote: pack it in your bag and check it. been doing this for a long time and many flights. never an issue

This is not something recommended. Lose your luggage, you're out your equipment. And since the "insurance" pay-back is so low, good luck getting reimbursed enough to replace the machine and gear. This is why they WANT you to take your medical equipment onboard.

Even if it is just temporarily misplaced, that is a stressful time waiting to see if it will be found and possibly sleeping without it. Yes, you'd survive, but you'd be miserable. Even if all you had was your CPAP and the clothes on your back while you waited for the rest, at least you'd be getting sleep!

RE: Traveling with CPAP/Bi-PAP - cant_sleep_in_nj - 11-27-2015

i understand what you are saying but lost luggage is really not much of an issue. i travel weekly and only lost 1 bag in 8 years.(got it back 24 hours later) thats a pretty good batting percentage. dont be so afraid to check it

RE: Traveling with CPAP/Bi-PAP - Mosquitobait - 11-27-2015

I concur with the others. Just offer to plug it in. That's what is nice about the travel cases. Easy to take the stuff out and plug it right in.

Can'tSleepInNJ, glad you've had mostly good experiences. However, even the airlines say not to put prescriptions into your checked baggage, but to take them with you on board. For someone with significant apnea (I just have mild), it's not worth the concern of delay or loss - take the bag with you. If you have a soft sided bag, you also risk breakage. Most insurance companies will not pay for a lost/damaged unit and I believe the coverage for checked is only $500.

RE: Traveling with CPAP/Bi-PAP - cant_sleep_in_nj - 11-27-2015

in roughly 800 flights, only having one temporarily lost bag, id consider it at least "mostly good" experiences. Its just my opinion and pet peave but people freak out WAY to easily about checking anything and its really for no reason. But im so much lazier than most people and its easier to check stuff rather than carry it on.

Ive also never seen people harassed by tsa when traveling with a cpap, they seem to let them go right thru the xray machine with no hassles and not having to remove the machine from the individual bag that its packed in. I see at least one person every week doing it that way.