Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Side Sleepers - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Side Sleepers (/Thread-Side-Sleepers)

Side Sleepers - I_will_never_sleep_again - 12-01-2015

I have always been a side sleeper, but with mask it is challenging. I feel like I have to sleep with my head barely on the corner of the pillow as to not bump mask and cause leaks.
Something I discovered was that if I take a small down pillow and force it up under my chin and put my arm around it, while on my side (kind of like hugging a stuffed toy) it is the only way I have been able to sleep so far. It also keeps my jaw from dropping open.
I just can't get used to chin strap yet, the mask is enough. One thing at a time.
I know this sounds weird, but figured I would post it. If it helps one person then it's worth posting.

Oh I tried a regular pillow, but the down one works best because it conforms to your body.

RE: Side Sleepers - AlanE - 12-01-2015

It's one of the overlooked items in CPAP therapy. I had a time with leaks until I found the right pillow for me.

RE: Side Sleepers - DariaVader - 12-01-2015

I do the same thing with the huggy pillow Big Grin

RE: Side Sleepers - angiessa - 12-01-2015

You might look into one of those buckwheat pillows - there are a couple marketed specifically for CPAPers. I love mine - you can get the perfect amount of support under your head and neck, then punch a hollow for your mask, and the pillow stays like that until you move it. Because of back issues, I usually have to turn over at least once a night, so I have to readjust, but if you tend to stay in one position it works really well.

RE: Side Sleepers - nelamvr6 - 12-01-2015

Have you tried something else besides a FFM?

I use a nasal pillows mask and I don't have to do anything special to sleep on my side, it's a complete non-issue.

RE: Side Sleepers - I_will_never_sleep_again - 12-02-2015

(12-01-2015, 04:23 PM)angiessa Wrote: [You might look into one of those buckwheat pillows] -

[quote='nelamvr6' pid='141097' dateline='1449013413']
Have you tried something else besides a FFM?

I use a nasal pillows mask and I don't have to do anything special to sleep on my side, it's a complete non-issue.

I tried a buckwheat pillow years ago, I felt like I was sleeping on a sack of gravel. I think I move around too much.

I have 4 masks now, but I still can't get seem to sleep with the wisp or the nasal pillows. I keep trying though. I love how light weight they are and seem less bothersome, but I keep going back to the Amara view mask.

RE: Side Sleepers - usertc - 12-04-2015

I've been struggling with this too. I've had a couple of back surgeries and cannot sleep on my back if I want to walk the next day. I use 2 body pillows and a pillow under my head. My husband says I prepare my nest before bed. I flip back and forth all night, moving both body pillows under the blankets. And now I've got a mask and a hose to deal with. I tried the Amara and kept waking up choking on condensation from my breath. I've had the best success with the Pica nasal mask, but keeping it in place has been a challenge. I've been achieving 4 to 6 hours with under 2 events per hour, which had my dr dancing when I saw him Monday. I keep waking up with my mask on the floor though, so he suggested we try another mask to find one more comfortable. So I came home with a loaner Dreamwear. It's been awful. 3 nights in a row, I got less than 2 hours per night and woke up in the morning with it on the floor. So last night, I went back to the Pica and had 6 1/2 hours sleep with 1.5 events per hour, but woke up 3x with my mask on the floor, and have been sporting a killer migraine all day :/ My numbers are getting better and better, but I'm still waiting to feel better. At least I'm not getting rainout anymore.

RE: Side Sleepers - OpalRose - 12-04-2015

(12-01-2015, 07:48 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: I have always been a side sleeper, but with mask it is challenging. I feel like I have to sleep with my head barely on the corner of the pillow as to not bump mask and cause leaks.
Something I discovered was that if I take a small down pillow and force it up under my chin and put my arm around it, while on my side (kind of like hugging a stuffed toy) it is the only way I have been able to sleep so far. It also keeps my jaw from dropping open.
I just can't get used to chin strap yet, the mask is enough. One thing at a time.
I know this sounds weird, but figured I would post it. If it helps one person then it's worth posting.

Oh I tried a regular pillow, but the down one works best because it conforms to your body.

I do the same with my pillow. I place it so it supports my chin when on my side. Works well.