Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Resmed Airfit F10 valve stopped working? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Resmed Airfit F10 valve stopped working? (/Thread-Resmed-Airfit-F10-valve-stopped-working)

Resmed Airfit F10 valve stopped working? - Horrux - 12-09-2015

Looks like the valve in the elbow joint stopped working, and now I breathe out into the tube, then breathe that back in.

I wake with horrible headaches. And even worse, I am now unable to fall asleep without the CPAP on.

Should there be a warranty?

I look in all the stores, and no one seems to be selling just the elbow join for my AirFit F10 mask?

Anyone know what's up with that?

Thanks

RE: Resmed Airfit F10 valve stopped working? - justMongo - 12-09-2015

You mean the flapper valve right?
With CPAP pressure, that valve is to remain closed.
The only time the flapper valve should open is when the machine is off; or the machine is failing to deliver pressure.
The flapper valve is the anti-asphyxia valve.

Your mask is flushed with fresh air by expelling air through the vents around the circumference of the place where the elbow plugs in.
Make sure the mask vent holes in the diffuser ring are clean and open -- else you will re-breath air with a higher CO2 content.

The elbow is considered part of the mask and is not available separately.

Since you're new to this, I'd recommend you take it to your doctor or equipment supplier to be checked.
If defective -- it MUST be replaced for your safety.

RE: Resmed Airfit F10 valve stopped working? - trish6hundred - 12-09-2015

Hi Horrux,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would take it back to where you got your machine and mask and show them what is going on.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting your mask problem straightened out.

RE: Resmed Airfit F10 valve stopped working? - AshSF - 12-09-2015

I bought a f10 elbow from eBay once. It was fairly cheap. You may want to try it.

RE: Resmed Airfit F10 valve stopped working? - ddefendi - 12-10-2015

So did I...

(12-09-2015, 11:53 PM)AshSF Wrote: I bought a f10 elbow from eBay once. It was fairly cheap. You may want to try it.

RE: Resmed Airfit F10 valve stopped working? - Horrux - 12-10-2015

(12-09-2015, 11:53 PM)AshSF Wrote: I bought a f10 elbow from eBay once. It was fairly cheap. You may want to try it.
May I ask why you purchased it? Did you feel it wasn't working right?

I had been doing so well and now, well, I can't sleep without it, but I'm waking up with headaches similar to when my apnea was not treated, so I figure something's wrong?

I feel that I'm breathing out the back of the machine when I exhale, and that it wasn't like that when I first started using it.

I'll look into the leakage and AHI stats, I guess?

RE: Resmed Airfit F10 valve stopped working? - justMongo - 12-10-2015

(12-10-2015, 06:22 PM)Horrux Wrote:

I had been doing so well and now, well, I can't sleep without it, but I'm waking up with headaches similar to when my apnea was not treated, so I figure something's wrong?

I feel that I'm breathing out the back of the machine when I exhale, and that it wasn't like that when I first started using it.

You need to start using software -- sleepyhead or ReScan.
Let's see what's up with pressure, leaks, flow, events over the night..

Summary stats will not tell the whole story.

And BTW -- which S9 do you have (look by the start button.)

Also, feel for airflow around the mask diffuser ring -- that's the flow vent. There should be air coming out of there during both inhale and exhale.

RE: Resmed Airfit F10 valve stopped working? - AshSF - 12-11-2015

(12-10-2015, 06:22 PM)Horrux Wrote:

I bought it because I wanted to create a whole mask by buying parts on eBay.

As Mongo described in an earlier post on this thread, With a Cpap system, you Always breathe in and out via the tube and the machine. The intentional leak (which you can feel around the ring where the elbow attached to the mask) is designed to refresh the air in the system. The little flapper valve is there to Safeguard only if the machine stops Working in a power failure. That valve is always closed when the machine is working.

I would advise you to look at the data by using sleepyhead and also feel that the vent around the mask elbow on the mask is venting air out. I am assuming that you wash your mask daily and cleaning the vents using a soft toothbrush.