Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Annoying Whistle Sound - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Annoying Whistle Sound (/Thread-CPAP-Annoying-Whistle-Sound)

Pages: 1 2

Annoying Whistle Sound - SMD38972 - 12-11-2015

I started using my CPAP machine in October [2015]. On occasion, my machine or mask will make a whistling sound when I wear it. I have no idea where it is coming from and the only way I can stop it is to play with the water level in the square cup. However, lately this has been an every night ordeal. Why does my machine whistle and where is the sound coming from? What should I be doing to guarantee that I will not hear this annoying whistle when I put my mask on? Thank you very much!

RE: Annoying Whistle Sound - Crimson Nape - 12-11-2015

Based off your observation, I'd would guess that it might be the seal on the humidifier is leaking.

RE: Annoying Whistle Sound - SMD38972 - 12-11-2015

Thank you for your quick reply. How do I fix this?

RE: Annoying Whistle Sound - Crimson Nape - 12-11-2015

This is just me thinking out loud (well sort'a). The whistling is an indication of an air leakage from somewhere. If I ever had one, it's because I failed to make a tight connection.

I'd set the machine up, like I was going to sleep(wearing mask), and turn it on. While it's operating, start jiggling and pushing on the hose connections and the humidifier to see if any thing causes a sound change. I realize that jiggling and pushing aren't very scientific but sometimes they do work.

If all else fails, call your DME and tell them your complaint.

Sorry I can't be anymore help.

Side Note: While trying to type this reply, my spell check feature wanted me to use "giggling" in lieu of "jiggling". . . That would have made for one hoot of a reply read. Dielaughing

RE: Annoying Whistle Sound - DWaldman - 12-11-2015

Seems to be a common problem with the ResMed S10. Make sure the humidifier chamber is fully seated, I also heard that ResMed may be offering an improved seal to eliminate this problem. Check with your DME, and either get the upgrade or a replacement machine.

RE: Annoying Whistle Sound - Mark Douglas - 12-11-2015

A good all purpose way of pinpointing noises is to use a section of tubing such as 3/8" Tygon and hold one end near an ear and run the open end around the source in question.
Do I have to warn anyone not to poke their eardrums or do this on something really loud or moving a lot of air? If so consider yourself warned.

RE: Annoying Whistle Sound - AlanE - 12-11-2015

Check all three seals in the humidifier.

[Image: A10%20tank%20seals.PNG]

Also check your intake filter on the left side of the machine.

[Image: a10.resmed.series.filter.jpg]

RE: Annoying Whistle Sound - Dagmar1 - 12-11-2015

Hi,

I have the same machine, and have same issues.

The quick fix is to use a tight rubber band on the humidifier chamber, the part extending from machine.

The correct fix is that ResMed knows about this problem and changed the design of the gaskets in the newer humidifier, and you should get a new one.

Old ones designated by a "White" tab to depress and pull from machine.

New ones designated by a "Gray" tab to depress and pull from machine.

The DME gave me a new humidifier chamber and I have not had the whistle, squealing with it.

Good luck!

RE: Annoying Whistle Sound - cate1898 - 12-11-2015

Welcome to the forum SMD38972, glad you found us! Hope you get your whistle under control soon!

RE: Annoying Whistle Sound - Sleepster - 12-11-2015

My mask whistles when the exhaust ports are wet. I have to run my hand over them to force the water droplets out.