Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
pulse oximiter - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: pulse oximiter (/Thread-pulse-oximiter)

pulse oximiter - pattim - 12-12-2015

Hello All:
I just found this board. I have suspected sleep problems all my life from not being able to breathe through my nose. I just got a pulse oximiter and ran it for the first time last night. I had a *bunch* of SpO2 de-saturation events, and got down to 88% saturation at one point. I have been worrying about this for some time, but especially now as I pas 60... I am not sure folks here track this but I would appreciate any information you could provide.

Thank you very much!
Patricia

RE: pulse oximiter - Mark Douglas - 12-12-2015

(12-12-2015, 11:37 AM)pattim Wrote: Hello All:
I just found this board. I have suspected sleep problems all my life from not being able to breathe through my nose. I just got a pulse oximiter and ran it for the first time last night. I had a *bunch* of SpO2 de-saturation events, and got down to 88% saturation at one point. I have been worrying about this for some time, but especially now as I pas 60... I am not sure folks here track this but I would appreciate any information you could provide.

Thank you very much!
Patricia
Definitely not good.
Many sites offer sleep apnea screening pages and I would suggest you go there right away.
Many are commercial links so I cannot provide.

RE: pulse oximiter - Crimson Nape - 12-12-2015

If this is your first encounter with a personal oximeter, take a breath and relax. My assessments that follow, are based on the units that are in the lower price range (< $250). These units are susceptible to erroneous readings due to rapid movement or hitting the sensor. The software that accompanies these devices will give you a heart attack when reading the data. The software will display the lowest value it recorded. . .regardless as to how it recorded it. If you pull the unit off while it's recording, the resulting data will show that you are dead. Take the data with a grain of salt. If your desaturations are inverted spikes, then these are called artifacts and you should ignore them to a great extent. Look at the overall saturation level line as a better indication of what transpired.

Since you feel you may be having sleep apnea, I recommend that you google "quick screening test for sleep apnea". There are many sites (most commercial in nature and against forum rules to list them) that have a quick checklist of complaints. Print out this form and take it to your doctor, along with a printout of the SpO2 report. He/She can then make a better determination of what avenues for you to explore next.

Remember, you didn't get this way overnight.

I hope this may help.

RE: pulse oximiter - cate1898 - 12-12-2015

Hi Pattim and welcome to the forum!

You'll get lots of helpful advice from experienced users.

I'm not terribly experienced, but wondering what type of oximeter you have. There's a link for SleepyHead software (Link at top of every forum page) and it supports a few different oximeters If you have the type of oximeter that is supported by SH you can look at your data and o2 results. Either way it's good to use SH to review your sleep data.

RE: pulse oximiter - Crimson Nape - 12-12-2015

Update: I found the test in the forum's information section. Here is the link:

http://www.apneaboard.com/sleep-apnea-information/daytime-sleepiness-test

RE: pulse oximiter - Mark Douglas - 12-12-2015

(12-12-2015, 03:44 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Update: I found the test in the forum's information section. Here is the link:

http://www.apneaboard.com/sleep-apnea-information/daytime-sleepiness-test

This is a beginning. Do however search around and see what all the side effects of OSA can be and with what you might identify. I think I started a thread listing some concomitant problems but hey I don't remember much prior cpap. Too-funny

crabby all the time (not me of course!)
Divorce.
Job loss
GERD and attendant sinus infections. THIS was a biggie with me.
memory loss
depression
brain fog
anxiety\weight gain
adrenal exhaustion
heart damage
nocturia
impotence

RE: pulse oximiter - trish6hundred - 12-12-2015

Hi pattim,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might consider talking to your doc about your sleep problems.
Much success to you and hang in there for more answers to your questions.

RE: pulse oximiter - pattim - 12-12-2015

Thanks, everyone. I've always had this, I'm not sure it's what is traditionally called sleep apnea, and, coincidentally, always had trouble concentrating (although I got a masters in physics). I tried to get polyp removal surgery (I have polyps in my nose and bad teeth from being a nighttime mouth breather), but can't find a good surgeon.

You're right about the data and possibility of artifacts. I was basically just trying to get some starting information - I know I'm not going to die. But my mom had early onset dementia and I remember hearing her stop breathing at night until something forced her to gasp for air (this was 40 years ago). She was an old school nurse, and said it was normal. But nowadays the scientific literature reports a significant link between cognitive decline in older adults and nighttime breathing difficulties. Different doctors (GP's) see these sorts of things differently.

All I really know for sure is I wake up unable to breathe through a clogged nose (swollen nasal polyps) and struggle to get into a posture where I can breathe. Mouth breathing opens up a whole different can of worms... including the apnea which can happen through the throat.

RE: pulse oximiter - pattim - 12-12-2015

I forgot to mention that I have that inexpensive unit mentioned here:
CMS50D-Pulse-Oximeter thread in the main form right now.. (won't let me post a link to it)

I also secured it with surgical tape and I don't flail in my sleep. My intention is to compare baseline levels between sleeping with and without allergy meds for my polyps.