Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Reservoir ran dry during the night - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Reservoir ran dry during the night (/Thread-Equipment-Reservoir-ran-dry-during-the-night)

Pages: 1 2

Reservoir ran dry during the night - sj80125 - 12-13-2015

I have the Resmed S9 Elite machine. The reservoir ran dry during the night. When I went to refill it, the bottom was so hot I could not touch it. The inside of the machine was very hot too.

Does anyone know if I damaged the machine? I did refill it when it cooled down, but I was afraid to turn the machine back on.

Thanks!!

RE: Reservoir ran dry during the night - Crimson Nape - 12-13-2015

Hi sj80125, Welcome to the forum!

There should be thermal protection in your machine to prevent meltdowns. I now say "should" because another member just reported a meltdown of his machine. . . although his was from a different manufacturer. I'd say give it a try tonight, with a full reservoir, and see what happens.

RE: Reservoir ran dry during the night - justMongo - 12-13-2015

I've done that because I forgot to put water in.
No harm done in my case.

RE: Reservoir ran dry during the night - Canuck 2 - 12-13-2015

(12-13-2015, 11:30 AM)sj80125 Wrote: I have the Resmed S9 Elite machine. The reservoir ran dry during the night. When I went to refill it, the bottom was so hot I could not touch it. The inside of the machine was very hot too.

Does anyone know if I damaged the machine? I did refill it when it cooled down, but I was afraid to turn the machine back on.

Thanks!!
It should be alright, your machine is designed to work in these situations.(no one could afford meltdowns)
If you do not want the humidity just turn it off, one less thing to worry about until you need it.Okay
Nice feature to have in dry climates

RE: Reservoir ran dry during the night - archangle - 12-13-2015

(12-13-2015, 11:30 AM)sj80125 Wrote: I have the Resmed S9 Elite machine. The reservoir ran dry during the night. When I went to refill it, the bottom was so hot I could not touch it. The inside of the machine was very hot too.

Thanks!!

The machines darn well better be designed to not self destruct when they run out of water, because it happens to everyone occasionally.

However, it is best to avoid it by making sure you fill the tank, or by turning the humidity level down if you can't make it through the night with a full tank of water. BTW, if you have an air leak, including leaking air out of your mouth, that will use more water. You need to fix air leaks if you have them.

The air tends to get stinky if you run out of water, but that's from cooking whatever crud is left in your water tank once you've evaporated all the water. Sort of like when you boil a pot dry on the stovetop. It's not (usually) the machine itself burning up.

RE: Reservoir ran dry during the night - sj80125 - 12-13-2015

I am so happy that I found this forum.
Thanks for the replies. I will try it tonight and see what happens. I hope all is okay. These machines are so expensive!!

RE: Reservoir ran dry during the night - foss - 12-13-2015

I would think that if a machine melted due to a dry humidity tank it would be the manufacturer's problem, not the patient's! I am sure the Consumer Product Safety Commission, among others, would get involved. Houses burning down due to melting xPAP machines is not a good thing.

Jeff

RE: Reservoir ran dry during the night - PollCat - 12-13-2015

It's not a real big deal; I've run the tank dry on several occasions due to failure to check the water level before going to bed. Your nose, nasal, and sinus passages will suffer more than the machine from lack of water! Oh-jeez

RE: Reservoir ran dry during the night - trish6hundred - 12-13-2015

Hi sj80125,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Your machine should be ok, just make sure you have plenty of water in your humidifier chamber tonight.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: Reservoir ran dry during the night - GP49 - 12-13-2015

I agree with the "don't worrys." It happened to me when I stayed overnight in someone else's home with very low humidity. The reservoir ran dry and in the morning I noticed the mask was warm and the reservoir, very warm. I asked ResMed about it and they said that there is thermal protection that will prevent damage to the unit. In any event, it has been working fine ever since.