Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Add Linux download to the Sleep Files site - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: Add Linux download to the Sleep Files site (/Thread-Add-Linux-download-to-the-Sleep-Files-site)

Pages: 1 2

Add Linux download to the Sleep Files site - hfinger - 12-15-2015

There is a Sourceforge project for Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu variants of Linux. How about adding the link to the SleepFiles dot com SH2 page? There are 32- and 64-bit self installers for the above variants. And you can keep the links to the compiling instructions. Too-funny

RE: Add Linux download to the Sleep Files site - archangle - 12-16-2015

(12-15-2015, 11:45 PM)hfinger Wrote: There is a Sourceforge project for Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu variants of Linux. How about adding the link to the SleepFiles dot com SH2 page? There are 32- and 64-bit self installers for the above variants. And you can keep the links to the compiling instructions. Too-funny

The Linux versions of SH on Sourceforge are very old. The author never built a Linux distribution for the later versions of SH.

RE: Add Linux download to the Sleep Files site - Terry - 12-16-2015

(12-16-2015, 08:35 PM)archangle Wrote:
(12-15-2015, 11:45 PM)hfinger Wrote: There is a Sourceforge project for Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu variants of Linux. How about adding the link to the SleepFiles dot com SH2 page? There are 32- and 64-bit self installers for the above variants. And you can keep the links to the compiling instructions. Too-funny

The Linux versions of SH on Sourceforge are very old. The author never built a Linux distribution for the later versions of SH.

I have a 64 bit version that I built, that runs on Fedora 20 and 21. I'd be happy to upload it although I have no idea what else it would run on.

Terry

RE: Add Linux download to the Sleep Files site - archangle - 12-17-2015

It's not that hard to build the Linux version.

RE: Add Linux download to the Sleep Files site - Terry - 12-17-2015

(12-17-2015, 01:44 AM)archangle Wrote: It's not that hard to build the Linux version.

It's not hard if you already have the build environment, which not everybody does. Linux is becomeing more mainsteam, which means it's not just developers anymore.

An RPM or DEB file would be awesome, but I have no idea how to build one.

Anybody here ever make one before?

RE: Add Linux download to the Sleep Files site - AlanE - 12-17-2015

Archangle has compile it in linux. documented it here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Building-SleepyHead-on-Linux

No package yet but that sounds like a project for anyone who knows Linux.

RE: Add Linux download to the Sleep Files site - archangle - 12-17-2015

(12-17-2015, 12:04 PM)Terry Wrote:
(12-17-2015, 01:44 AM)archangle Wrote: It's not that hard to build the Linux version.

It's not hard if you already have the build environment, which not everybody does. Linux is becomeing more mainsteam, which means it's not just developers anymore.

An RPM or DEB file would be awesome, but I have no idea how to build one.

Anybody here ever make one before?

Well, the build process could be a script, no build environment needed.

For instance, for Linux mint, the following script gets the build pieces needed, even if no development environment is already installed:

----
#/bin/bash

sudo apt-get install libqt5serialport5 git qt5-qmake qt5-default libqt5webkit5-dev libqt5serialport5-dev g++ libudev-dev

mkdir shbuild
cd shbuild

git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/sleepyhead/code sleepyhead-code

cd sleepyhead-code

qmake
make
-----

Even if you pre-compiled the executable, you're still going to have to run apt-get to install the libraries it needs.

You'd need a different version for different distributions, or a talented multi-distribution-aware script Things like RPM, deb, etc. have some extra capabilities. There's also a different process if you need a brokenGL version.

I could probably knock out a red had style script as well, but I'd have to load a red hat based distro.

RE: Add Linux download to the Sleep Files site - SuperSleeper - 12-17-2015

If you all come up with an installer for Linux that will work with the more common distributions, I don't think it would be a big deal to host that file on our SleepFiles.com server, with a link to the files on the SH download page.

I would think that a "multi-distribution-aware" deb and rpm for v0.9.8-1-T3-testing would be a good thing.

I would assume that we'd need to start a thread about this in the SleepyHead Testing Forum once a deb or rpm is ready, so the beta testers could get a crack at it prior to releasing anything publicly on the SH download page.

But yeah, there's people like me that cringe at the thought of building from source (yeah, I know I'm chicken). But since I run Ubuntu, I'd love to have a .deb file that would install SH and all the various dependencies all in one fell swoop.

Coffee

RE: Add Linux download to the Sleep Files site - bfry - 01-12-2016

I just ran the build from git on sourceforge. (Ubuntu 15.10), and it appears to run fine. While I've never built a .deb before, I am a programmer and this would be an interesting one to start on.
I'm not sure how multi-platform I can get to from the start, but I'd think most recent Ubuntu/Debian based distros should be pretty close if the qt5 isn't a huge issue.
Maybe start with the OpenGL and add BrokenGL later?
Anyone interested in collaborating on it?

Blessings,

Bill.

RE: Add Linux download to the Sleep Files site - Mark Douglas - 01-12-2016

I copied and pasted archangle's instructions several moons ago into terminal (LM17.1) and voilĂ  works great. first time I got to watch that process. prior that I had to run SH in a windoze vb machine which I did not like doing.

Thanks again archangle!