Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Just started - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Just started (/Thread-Just-started)

Just started - jmihail - 01-01-2016

Hey All!

Very new to all this, i just got my machine 3 days ago. It is the Amara View mask as i am a mouth breather.

I am having a lot of trouble sleep since it is very strange having a giant thing on your face. any ideas or best practices you can give with how to get used to all this?

Thanks

RE: Just started - surferdude2 - 01-01-2016

Welcome
What works for most people is to wear the mask while watching TV or reading a book or some similar activity. That allows you to dispel any notions about the mask being harmful and makes for an easier acceptance of it.

Dude

RE: Just started - OpalRose - 01-01-2016

Welcome to the forum jmihail,
It takes some of us longer to adapt than others, and yes, it's strange to have something on your face and attached to a hose. We have all been there.

You can try using your mask with machine on while sitting up watching TV or reading. Do this an hour before bed.

If you would fill out your profile with exact equipment, it would be helpful. Phillips equals many different PAP machines.
Good luck!

RE: Just started - Jimsp1 - 01-01-2016

I started with the same mask a couple of months ago. It was about a week before I could fall asleep with it on. If after a few hours I didn't fall asleep I would take it off. If I woke up later in the night I would put it back on and then I could fall asleep with it on. By the second week I was able to fall asleep with it on. Sometime during the second week I remember waking up thinking I forgot to put the mask on then realized I was wearing it.

RE: Just started - jmihail - 01-01-2016

(01-01-2016, 11:09 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: Welcome
What works for most people is to wear the mask while watching TV or reading a book or some similar activity. That allows you to dispel any notions about the mask being harmful and makes for an easier acceptance of it.

Dude

Thanks, I'll give it a go and see if it helps

(01-01-2016, 11:12 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Welcome to the forum jmihail,
It takes some of us longer to adapt than others, and yes, it's strange to have something on your face and attached to a hose. We have all been there.

You can try using your mask with machine on while sitting up watching TV or reading. Do this an hour before bed.

If you would fill out your profile with exact equipment, it would be helpful. Phillips equals many different PAP machines.
Good luck!

Ok I updated my profile with my machine (I think).

(01-01-2016, 11:26 AM)Jimsp1 Wrote: I started with the same mask a couple of months ago. It was about a week before I could fall asleep with it on. If after a few hours I didn't fall asleep I would take it off. If I woke up later in the night I would put it back on and then I could fall asleep with it on. By the second week I was able to fall asleep with it on. Sometime during the second week I remember waking up thinking I forgot to put the mask on then realized I was wearing it.

OK i'll give it some time. It just seemed to initially hinder my sleeping as opposed to improving it.

Thanks all!

RE: Just started - trish6hundred - 01-01-2016

Hi jmihail,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Just give it time, it does get better.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.