Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea (/Thread-Statins-may-lower-risk-of-heart-disease-in-people-with-sleep-apnea)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea - DeepBreathing - 01-07-2016

"A new study conducted at Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) has revealed some of the underlying mechanisms that may increase the risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea. The study also found that statins—the cholesterol-lowering medications commonly prescribed to combat heart disease—may help reverse this process."

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-01-statins-heart-disease-people-apnea.html

...or, to quote the title of the actual paper: "Increased internalization of complement inhibitor CD59 may contribute to endothelial inflammation in obstructive sleep apnea".

RE: Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea - Duckdog58 - 01-07-2016

Nothing, and I mean nothing, could ever get me to take a statin ever again.

RE: Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea - DeepBreathing - 01-07-2016

(01-07-2016, 09:16 AM)Duckdog58 Wrote: Nothing, and I mean nothing, could ever get me to take a statin ever again.

Why so? My doc warned me about the muscle pains etc but I have fibromyalgia and didn't notice any difference.

RE: Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea - DariaVader - 01-07-2016

I'm with Duckdog. They make me hurt so bad that I dont care if I live longer.... and I have probably tried close to every statin on the market

RE: Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea - OpalRose - 01-07-2016

I've only tried one statin, and it was one too many.

I had muscle weakness to the point of not being able to walk properly, couldn't use my arms to lift anything. The weakness was frightening.

I hurt everywhere.

It took almost 6 weeks after I stopped taking them to feel normal again.

RE: Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea - Crimson Nape - 01-07-2016

Statins cause severe joint pain with me as well. Playing the Guinea Pig, I was put on Red Yeast Rice (I call it "Red Beans 'n Rice") to see if it had any positive effect. I just had my blood work done and my cholesterol is the lowest it has been in years. For me this herb (?) works. I would be interested to see if the heart problem reversal listed in the statin study applies to this as well.

RE: Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea - DariaVader - 01-07-2016

interesting since red yeast rice = lovastatin.

RE: Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea - Crimson Nape - 01-07-2016

(01-07-2016, 10:44 AM)DariaVader Wrote: interesting since red yeast rice = lovastatin.

Your statement reminded me that I had taken statins for a couple of years without problems. I had forgotten about that. I only had a reaction after the drug went generic and I was placed on one of them. After that, I could no longer take any of them. So far I've been successful on the rice. Now that I've said this, it's probably the "kiss of death" on it for me.

RE: Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea - GrammaBear - 01-07-2016

(01-07-2016, 05:58 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: "A new study conducted at Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) has revealed some of the underlying mechanisms that may increase the risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea. The study also found that statins—the cholesterol-lowering medications commonly prescribed to combat heart disease—may help reverse this process."

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-01-statins-heart-disease-people-apnea.html

...or, to quote the title of the actual paper: "Increased internalization of complement inhibitor CD59 may contribute to endothelial inflammation in obstructive sleep apnea".

I would be interested to know just who paid for the study? I am willing to bet it could have been a manufacturer of statin drugs.

RE: Statins may lower risk of heart disease in people with sleep apnea - GrammaBear - 01-07-2016

(01-07-2016, 10:20 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I've only tried one statin, and it was one too many.

I had muscle weakness to the point of not being able to walk properly, couldn't use my arms to lift anything. The weakness was frightening.

I hurt everywhere.

It took almost 6 weeks after I stopped taking them to feel normal again.

I also took one too many statin drugs. My doctor made me try every statin on the market at that time. And every last one caused the horrible muscle pain, took me over a year before the pain finally stopped. Some days the pain was simply intolerable.