Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Hello - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Hello (/Thread-Hello--12331)

Pages: 1 2

Hello - MitchS - 01-09-2016

I just thought I would take the time to say hello. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and started using a cpap the middle of last November and joined the forum a couple of weeks latter.

I have been lurking while getting used to using a cpap. My mileposts so far include finding a mask that works for me, getting my mask fit to no large leaks most of the time, getting my AHI below 1 and getting to where I can sleep for 7 or 8 hours with at most one trip to the restroom during the night. 4 or 5 hours of sleep with 2 or three trips to the restroom was the norm pre cpap. I also fall asleep a lot sooner than I did before I started using the cpap. I have achieved an AHI of 0.0 a couple of times. I have reached the point that I don't think I could sleep without my machine.

A lot of my success is due to the information I found on this forum that has helped me solve the issues I had starting out.

I would like to say thanks to all of the members who post such good advice on this board.

RE: Hello - SideSleeper - 01-09-2016

Welcome, pupcamper! Some folks here will be very envious of your good results right out of the chute. Thanks for sharing your experience.

RE: Hello - MitchS - 01-10-2016

Thanks SideSleeper. I think most of my success is due to finding a mask I am very comfortable with after only three tries. I have to credit my DME for that. He did a good job. I also got lucky in getting my headgear adjusted fairly quickly. The hose was really bothering me at first. I kept rolling over on it or it would drag my mask off. I found out about the Hose Buddy on this board and purchased one. It solved my problem with the hose. Under the premise that use leads to familiarity and familiarity leads to acceptance, I have made the commitment to never lay down without using the cpap and to never stop using it without getting up. After all, I'm in this for the long haul. Also, although I call myself determined, my wife calls me hard headed.

RE: Hello - OpalRose - 01-10-2016

pupcamper,
You are right in that finding the right mask is the hardest. Glad you overcame that obstacle.

Sounds like you are doing really well. Don't be a stranger!
Smile

RE: Hello - DariaVader - 01-10-2016

Welcome

and glad you found the forum and found our travails useful Smile. Knowledge is power, and there is lots of that here.

RE: Hello - ginzo - 01-10-2016

X's 2
(01-10-2016, 01:06 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Welcome

and glad you found the forum and found our travails useful Smile. Knowledge is power, and there is lots of that here.

RE: Hello - trish6hundred - 01-10-2016

Hi pupcamper,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You are off to a great start and it’s good to hear that you have found a mask that works well for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: Hello - Diane1048 - 01-11-2016

Welcome and congratulations on your success !

RE: Hello - Diane1048 - 01-11-2016

(01-09-2016, 11:28 PM)pupcamper Wrote: I just thought I would take the time to say hello. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and started using a cpap the middle of last November and joined the forum a couple of weeks latter.

I have been lurking while getting used to using a cpap. My mileposts so far include finding a mask that works for me, getting my mask fit to no large leaks most of the time, getting my AHI below 1 and getting to where I can sleep for 7 or 8 hours with at most one trip to the restroom during the night. 4 or 5 hours of sleep with 2 or three trips to the restroom was the norm pre cpap. I also fall asleep a lot sooner than I did before I started using the cpap. I have achieved an AHI of 0.0 a couple of times. I have reached the point that I don't think I could sleep without my machine.

A lot of my success is due to the information I found on this forum that has helped me solve the issues I had starting out.

I would like to say thanks to all of the members who post such good advice on this board.

I also wanted to echo your comments Pupcamper regarding all the help I have received here on this forum - you have all been invaluable in my personal sleep apnea management journey. So many things that I worried about in the beginning were explained to me in an empathetic way as I built up my knowledgebase of the pros and cons of CPAP therapy.

I-love-Apnea-Board

6 weeks into my therapy and after sorting through the masks and mask sizes - I decided a couple of days ago to use the medium ResMed nasal pillows instead of the small one and BINGO - what do you know - a perfect seal for me.

Last night I registered AHI 0.00. Dancing

I am off to the sleep doctor today to borrow an Oximeter overnight to test my saturation levels to see whether therapy is really working. I-love-CPAP

RE: Hello - ginzo - 01-11-2016

Diane1048,

Welcome to the 0.00 club! I've had quite a few lately, with very little to no leaks. For me those are my issues I fight.
Fun isn't it, just the challenge of trying to get it makes me strive more for the "perfect" sleep. And since I've been here, I've NEVER slept better!!Grin