Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
DreamStation Auto - auto OFF issue - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: DreamStation Auto - auto OFF issue (/Thread-DreamStation-Auto-auto-OFF-issue)

DreamStation Auto - auto OFF issue - GPSMapNut - 01-10-2016

Second night with the DreamStation Auto (DSA)
I have enabled the Automatic ON and OFF in the provider setup - why did they bury it in there, I don't know and don't care. My question is;
What could prevent the Auto OFF from kicking in? Auto ON works like expected but Auto OFF does not seem to work at all. I can remove the mask and the machine stays on. Disconnect the mask entirely and it stays on. Disconnected the hose and it happily kept on blowing...
I realise that some settings may be mutually exclusive so, maybe I have set something that prevents the machine from automatically turning off.
BTW. Just in case, I tried it with the "Automatic OFF" turned on and turned on and it made no difference.
At this point, I'm not sure if it's the machine or the operator error.

This function shouldn't be any different from System One so, users of such may have some good ideas. Any thoughts appreciated.

RE: DreamStation Auto - auto OFF issue - archangle - 01-10-2016

Get a watch and time it. Take the hose off and let it blow for a little over a full minute. Respironics machines are often a bit slow doing the Auto Off function. Disconnect the hose from the mask to do the test. Also, try wearing the mask for a period of time before disconnecting. Maybe it's timed to not turn off when it first starts.

RE: DreamStation Auto - auto OFF issue - GPSMapNut - 01-10-2016

Thanks. I tested it again. I guess, after 3 months with S9 I grew impatient.

I tried it yet again. P10 attached. I (auto) started it and used it for ~a minute. Than ( took the mask off. It took 1 minute and 36 seconds for the DSA to figure out that the mask is off and there is no breathing pattern present...
1:36 ??? Unfortunately, that's longer than I and my wife sleeping in the same bed can tolerate... In other words; fine, it works but does not work to my full satisfaction.
To the Respironic's engineers (if one of them reads this); when I need to go to the washroom at night, I want the machine to figure out that I too the mask off in less time than it takes me to wake up a bit more and find the power button. If Respironics can do it, so can you! Can you????

Now, I have to figure out where Encore Pro shows "disconnects". For the last two nights, it didn't anywhere I looked... MInd you, I just started to use this program. Until a day before, I had no data to use it with.

OTOH, my old Respironics REMStar Pro, after just few seconds with the mask off would start to beep like hell and alert me and everybody around that something isn't right before it turned off. Kind of a neat feature. Allerted when anything was amiss. Mask off, lack of breathing pattern, low power (on battery) or whatever not right. Some say that my friend (maybe) would still be alive if his machine did that...

OTOH (do I have 3 hands ? Smile ) When I take my mask off to go pee (twice a night), I'd love the machine to figure out that there is a pattern to this and just quietly shut off and wait for me to come back.