Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Noisy machine - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Noisy machine (/Thread-Noisy-machine)

Pages: 1 2

Noisy machine - dizzyliz474 - 01-28-2016

My PR Remstar System one auto cpap is two years old, it is now a little noisy, slight whining noise. To get it serviced will cost AU$400. Would it be safe for my husband to open it and have a look, he is maintenance savvy on most things, but concerned that it all may Spring apart when he talks out the screws Cool
Thanks in advance for any help

RE: Noisy machine - zonk - 01-28-2016

I wouldn't open it and have no clue what to look for, especially since the machine is working. New machine might be noisy too
$400 is a lot to pay, probably can get a new APAP machine for a little more and used one for less

For the noise, place the machine on mouse pad, away from you as possible, or get a longer hose. Small fan will dull the noise somewhat

PR machines uses two type of air filters
Washable grey air filter and optional while disposable air filter (should be replaced every 6 months or sooner if get dirty)
Check the grey filter is not blow away, can happen, PR machines have no air filter cover

Welcome

RE: Noisy machine - PoolQ - 01-29-2016

I have not opened mine, but no reason to so far. I end up opening everything. I have see pictures that someone took when they opened theirs. If it got dropped and a bracket broke, then maybe it could be fixed. The blower unit is not something standard

RE: Noisy machine - dizzyliz474 - 01-29-2016

thanks for replies, I bought in US 2 years ago, machine, humidifier heated tubing and new nasal prong mask US$890 machine here alone was AU$2300 mask AU$ 200+ so I figure I got a bargain. Been on cpap for 15 years this is my 3rd auto machine other two still work fine just wanted to upgrade at this price. Took it to my usual supplier in Brisbane PR Sleepeasy clinic in Annerly Brisbane, he gave it a quick blowout but thinks there may be hairs or dust inside as the noise is minimal, before I got 5 years maintenance with previous machines purchased from them, they wanted $400 to open this one up and have a look. I will try putting it on something padded see if that helps. I did have it in bedside drawer but wondered if there should be more airflow around it.
Thanks for replies.

RE: Noisy machine - GPSMapNut - 01-29-2016

I wouldn't hesitate to open it but, don't expect to find much in there. If you use machine with filter in place, there should be absolutely nothing as large as a hair inside. Increased noise could be caused by several factors some of which are:
Increased pressure - nothing you can do about
Dirty filter making the machine work harder - easily fixed. Remember, cleaning that filter only goes so far. Now and than, it will need to be replaced
Blower bearings getting worn out - trying to take the motor apart is very risky business. Don't ask me how I know Wink
Dust deposit on the blower blades - your husband can take the machine apart enough to clean it. Easy.
Blower assembly getting loose in it's foam cradle - not likely but easily fixable.

In any case, I'd start with replacing the filter.

HTH

RE: Noisy machine - Luvmyzzz - 04-05-2016

(01-28-2016, 11:59 PM)zonk Wrote: I wouldn't open it and have no clue what to look for, especially since the machine is working. New machine might be noisy too
$400 is a lot to pay, probably can get a new APAP machine for a little more and used one for less

For the noise, place the machine on mouse pad, away from you as possible, or get a longer hose. Small fan will dull the noise somewhat

PR machines uses two type of air filters
Washable grey air filter and optional while disposable air filter (should be replaced every 6 months or sooner if get dirty)
Check the grey filter is not blow away, can happen, PR machines have no air filter cover

Welcome

Hi Zonk...I'm curious about "used" equipment, I wanted to donate mine, but the rep that got my new one for me, said used equipment isn't supposed to used by other people for health reasons/issues, is this just bunkum from a sales rep point of view or does it hold any merit? Dont-know

RE: Noisy machine - palerider - 04-05-2016

(04-05-2016, 12:32 PM)Luvmyzzz Wrote: but the rep that got my new one for me, said used equipment isn't supposed to used by other people for health reasons/issues, is this just bunkum from a sales rep point of view or does it hold any merit? Dont-know

you got it in one, bunkum Wink

RE: Noisy machine - PoolQ - 04-05-2016

Mask possibly, hose remote maybe, CPAP device I cannot see how anything going on at the mask end could possibly end up back in the machine.

It's the old Is it "possible" well yes if you are lax enough anything could be "possible" even if it's once in a million years or so.

RE: Noisy machine - dizzyliz474 - 04-05-2016

(04-05-2016, 01:08 PM)palerider Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 12:32 PM)Luvmyzzz Wrote: but the rep that got my new one for me, said used equipment isn't supposed to used by other people for health reasons/issues, is this just bunkum from a sales rep point of view or does it hold any merit? Dont-know

They are technically correct and just covering their backs when asked for advice of this sort, in the event of anything being passed between users they can safely say they advised against it. But hey I passed one onto someone and keep another at my daughters for when I have a sleepover. Yes I have purchased three machines in 15 years, all working fine just wanted upgrades and considering I got my last one in US for a third of the cost of one here in Australia. And yes sales reps will give you info though technically correct, I was told here that my US purchased one would not be covered by warranty and yes bunkum Dancing

RE: Noisy machine - Luvmyzzz - 04-05-2016

(04-05-2016, 05:02 PM)dizzyliz474 Wrote:
(04-05-2016, 01:08 PM)palerider Wrote:

They are technically correct and just covering their backs when asked for advice of this sort, in the event of anything being passed between users they can safely say they advised against it. But hey I passed one onto someone and keep another at my daughters for when I have a sleepover. Yes I have purchased three machines in 15 years, all working fine just wanted upgrades and considering I got my last one in US for a third of the cost of one here in Australia. And yes sales reps will give you info though technically correct, I was told here that my US purchased one would not be covered by warranty and yes bunkum Dancing

Thanks DizzyLizz, my old one is 10 years old, but the web site that takes used ones, want devises that are not a year old, and "lightly used" Mine has NEVER been around smoke, we don't do that... so I guess I'm stuck with it.