Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Filters - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Filters (/Thread-Filters--12541)

Pages: 1 2

Filters - I_will_never_sleep_again - 01-29-2016

I was told by DME to change the ResMed filter twice a month.
All this Cpap stuff is ridiculously priced.
I am going to go find a furnace filter that looks like the same material and spend $15 and cut out about a hundred of these little rectangles.
Has anyone found a cheap way to replace their filter?
Or is there anything wrong with my idea?

RE: Filters - DeepBreathing - 01-29-2016

Twice a year is more like it, unless you live in an exceptionally dusty environment. I just changed mine after 6 months and it was visibly slightly grey, but not really dirty. I wouldn't use anything other than the genuine article for fear of upsetting the machine's calibration (which may be an unfounded fear...).

RE: Filters - OpalRose - 01-29-2016

Your idea is interesting, but I would be afraid of using the wrong filter on an $800.00 machine.

Insurance sends me 2 filters per month. I change mine only once a month, and there is a visible difference if comparing the filter I replace with a new one.

RE: Filters - I_will_never_sleep_again - 01-29-2016

(01-29-2016, 09:06 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Twice a year is more like it, unless you live in an exceptionally dusty environment. I just changed mine after 6 months and it was visibly slightly grey, but not really dirty. I wouldn't use anything other than the genuine article for fear of upsetting the machine's calibration (which may be an unfounded fear...).

That wouldn't be bad, but they charged me $13 per filter and said twice a month. I just looked a few minutes ago and found them for about $5 on Amazon.
Once a month at that price is okay.
I probably should take your advice and use the real filter.

Thanks.

RE: Filters - Snowbird47 - 01-29-2016

I took the filter out of my Airsense 10, and it indeed did look a little grey-ish after 3 months nightly use. I blew it out with compressed air (laid it against a window screen to keep it flat) and then washed it out with warm water and liquid hand soap. After it dried, it looked like new. I will probably do that every 3 months or so, and get a new one after a year, since i don't get any freebies.

(01-29-2016, 09:35 AM)Snowbird47 Wrote: I took the filter out of my Airsense 10, and it indeed did look a little grey-ish after 3 months nightly use. I blew it out with compressed air (laid it against a window screen to keep it flat) and then washed it out with warm water and liquid hand soap. After it dried, it looked like new. I will probably do that every 3 months or so, and get a new one after a year, since i don't get any freebies.

I don't get freebies either. If I order from my DME, I still pay 20%.
Sometimes can find then on line a little cheaper, but yes, its all expensive.

RE: Filters - surferdude2 - 01-29-2016

You may consider doing it my way, it works very well:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Filter-suggestion

(01-29-2016, 09:29 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 09:06 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Twice a year is more like it, unless you live in an exceptionally dusty environment. I just changed mine after 6 months and it was visibly slightly grey, but not really dirty. I wouldn't use anything other than the genuine article for fear of upsetting the machine's calibration (which may be an unfounded fear...).

That wouldn't be bad, but they charged me $13 per filter and said twice a month. I just looked a few minutes ago and found them for about $5 on Amazon.
Once a month at that price is okay.
I probably should take your advice and use the real filter.

Thanks.

Charging $13.00 per filter is robbery. Amazon is reasonable, and a few online supplies have reasonable prices too.
Don't buy from your DME!

(01-29-2016, 09:42 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: You may consider doing it my way, it works very well:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Filter-suggestion

surferdude2,
Thanks for that link. It seems like a good idea if the material is the same.
Sometimes we have to do whatever it takes, because CPAP Therapy doesn't come cheap. We just need to be sure we aren't doing harm to our machines.

RE: Filters - I_will_never_sleep_again - 01-29-2016

Yes, thanks Surferdude2 for the link
I think I will try that.
My machine is rented, so I think I will save the one bought filter I have left and stick it back in the machine when I return it or have problems.
The place I worked before had a HP 60" printer, and they had a warranty. But the warranty said you have to use genuine HP paper which was 3 times the cost of an off brand. When we had to call for service we replaced cheap paper with the one HP paper we kept just for that reason.
Same concept with my filter.