Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
AHI All over the place - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: AHI All over the place (/Thread-AHI-All-over-the-place)

AHI All over the place - dragonflyoh - 01-29-2016

I have a Bipap Air Curve 10 Auto. My AHI numbers for 14 days are:
9.3, 12.9, 6.3, 5.7,14.2, 9.2, 5, 10.3, 13.3, 10.4, 13.8, 15.4, 13.6, 13.4
Is there any reading I can look for with Sleepy Head or ReScan that would lead me to a setting to change? My Inhale is 11 and Exhale is 7. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Jim

RE: AHI All over the place - PoolQ - 01-29-2016

What is the typical mix of centrals/obstructive?
do you have lots of clusters of events right after you start and just before you wake up?

RE: AHI All over the place - justMongo - 01-29-2016

(01-29-2016, 12:48 PM)dragonflyoh Wrote: I have a Bipap Air Curve 10 Auto. My AHI numbers for 14 days are:
9.3, 12.9, 6.3, 5.7,14.2, 9.2, 5, 10.3, 13.3, 10.4, 13.8, 15.4, 13.6, 13.4
Is there any reading I can look for with Sleepy Head or ReScan that would lead me to a setting to change? My Inhale is 11 and Exhale is 7. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Jim

You now have 8 posts, and your member badge has changed from new to member. You can now attach a 512k image or put a link between image tags to a photo sharing website such as Photobucket or imgur.

I suggest your question might be better answered if you would post a graph of leak, flow, pressure and events.

RE: AHI All over the place - dragonflyoh - 01-31-2016

(01-29-2016, 01:30 PM)PoolQ Wrote: What is the typical mix of centrals/obstructive?
do you have lots of clusters of events right after you start and just before you wake up?
Centrals 8.8 AND Obstructive 2.2. How do I find if I have lots of clusters of events right after I start and just before I wake up?

RE: AHI All over the place - PaulaO2 - 01-31-2016

For me, my pressure remains about the same until I fall asleep then goes up. And I can tell when I am awake because the flow graph has lots of spikes instead of staying together. I can tell from that when I have events in relation to waking and falling asleep. I almost always have a cluster of OSA events shortly after falling asleep.

RE: AHI All over the place - vsheline - 02-01-2016

(01-31-2016, 05:15 PM)dragonflyoh Wrote: Centrals 8.8 AND Obstructive 2.2.

Hi dragonflyoh,

I think it is fairly common (~30%?) for new CPAP users to experience more than 5 CA events per hour.

As we become more accustomed to CPAP, typically the number of CA events decreases within the first few weeks or months of starting therapy to well less than 5 per hour.

If after a month or two of CPAP use your number of CA events remains higher than 5 per hour of sleep and outnumber your obstructive apneas, and you are still experiencing excessive daytime sleepiness, I would suggest seeking an upgrade to an Adaptive Servo Ventilator (ASV) class of machine, which is able to treat/prevent both obstructive and central events. typically, insurance preauthorization for an "ASV Titration" is required to verify that ASV therapy will reduce your treated RDI significantly or to less than 5.

Or, reducing the amount of Pressure Support (PS) may lower the number of CA events we get. Your machine uses a PS of 4, so you might try lowering PS to 3. (EPAP 7, IPAP 10)

Also, medications and sleeping pills may worsen the number of CA events.

A few have reported that Vitamin C and/or a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil before bedtime helps reduce the number of CA events.

Take care,
--- Vaughn