Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation (/Thread-Surgery-Anesthesia-and-Sedation)

Pages: 1 2

Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation - Sleeprider - 02-01-2016

I had a procedure done today to remove the cataract from my left eye and replace the lens. I showed up at 9:30 AM at the surgery center and went through all the prep and met the anesthesiologist. Due to my OA, he said I would not be given as much anesthesia and would be awake through the procedure. No big deal.

I had minor discomfort and was alert, but relaxed enough to tolerate the lens implant and was taken to recovery on completion. As I was sucking up some orange juice, I noticed the poor lady on my right was having apnea after apnea and snoring and having some big recovery breaths. It's not life threatening, but it took her a long time to awaken, while I was in and out. If you're having a significant procedure, I guess the lesson is, take the machine. For the small stuff, don't worry about it. I still might take it along, just in case, for the second eye. Who knows, maybe I'd get better drugs. Didn't need or want it this time, but I got some good use today in my "sleep it off" nap.

RE: Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation - eseedhouse - 02-01-2016

When I got my cataracts done they just used a local anaesthetic and a mild tranquilizer. I walked from the surgery room all on my own. Interesting experience - I have had worse dentist appointments.

RE: Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation - Sleeprider - 02-01-2016

Agree, I was surprised that an anesthesiologist would be part of this at all.

RE: Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation - DariaVader - 02-02-2016

Confusedhudder: they will have to put me out out to touch my eye! can't even let them do the puff test for glaucoma without half a panic attack! Confusedhudder:

RE: Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation - Protege - 02-02-2016

I'm going to be having a colonoscopy soon, and I'm not sure how I'm going to handle anesthesia, with my heart palpitations.

RE: Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation - Sleeprider - 02-02-2016

Protege, it won't hurt to take your CPAP with you and talk about it with your anesthesiologist or doctor. If you have sleep apnea, they will minimize sedation if you don't have the CPAP, and can treat you normally if your airway is patent. You will have a chance to talk about your concern before the procedure, and heart palpitations (A-fib?) is something your doctor should know about, as well as your apnea.

RE: Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation - eseedhouse - 02-02-2016

(02-02-2016, 07:34 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Confusedhudder: they will have to put me out out to touch my eye! can't even let them do the puff test for glaucoma without half a panic attack!

They put anaesthetic drops in my eye so I never felt them touching it. Doctor worked with teensy tiny tools and looked through a binocular microscope. The only hard part was keeping my eye still when he told me to. If you've ever had a tooth pulled under local anaesthetic you will have NO problem with cataract surgery.

They gave me a short acting benzodiazepene tranquilizer to help with panic attacks. I know about panic attacks having had them many times since my mid twenties, and many visits to emerge convinced I was dying. They faded away slowly, mostly after I turned fifty.

RE: Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation - Protege - 02-02-2016

(02-02-2016, 09:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Protege, it won't hurt to take your CPAP with you and talk about it with your anesthesiologist or doctor. If you have sleep apnea, they will minimize sedation if you don't have the CPAP, and can treat you normally if your airway is patent. You will have a chance to talk about your concern before the procedure, and heart palpitations (A-fib?) is something your doctor should know about, as well as your apnea.
Well,, I am going to see about getting an appointment tomorrow, so I'll ask about cpap.

RE: Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation - OpalRose - 02-03-2016

Protege,
Ask to speak to an anesthesiologist. They probably won't let you until right before the procedure, but you need to be proactive. They should be aware of you apnea, and definetly bring your machine. Have a family member or friend hold on to it and let the nurses/doctors know you have it.
They will monitor your oxygen levels during the procedure, and you should be fine.

RE: Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation - OpalRose - 02-03-2016

Sleeprider, are you noticing a difference in your vision?

My husband had both eyes done a month apart. He claims he was awake and the nurses were talking to him. He said they strapped his head in a position so he couldn't move, then he had a numbing shot in eye. The procedure was done by a robot type arm holding the replacement lens. Shock-2

I asked the doctor later if he was actually awake, and he confirmed this, just light sedation.

I think this is the most amazing procedure. He can see so much clearer and doesn't need his glasses.