Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Auto CPAP query - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Auto CPAP query (/Thread-Auto-CPAP-query)

Auto CPAP query - msapnea - 02-06-2016

I have been diagnosed with moderate SA. The doctor has advised me to rent a CPAP machine for a month to check on the pressure and other sleep data necessary to kickstart my therapy. The cost of renting the machine and new mask is more or less equivalent to buying a new one. I am instead thinking of buying a Auto CPAP (Remstar 60 Series Auto CPAP). Will using a Auto CPAP for a month help in providing data to the doctor to decide upon my pressure requirements? My understanding is that an APAP being automatic generates air pressure necessary to keep the airway open. For moderate SA, can you just not start using an Auto CPAP? Can an Auto APAP substitute a sleep titration test?

RE: Auto CPAP query - justMongo - 02-06-2016

(02-06-2016, 08:44 AM)msapnea Wrote: I have been diagnosed with moderate SA. The doctor has advised me to rent a CPAP machine for a month to check on the pressure and other sleep data necessary to kickstart my therapy. The cost of renting the machine and new mask is more or less equivalent to buying a new one. I am instead thinking of buying a Auto CPAP (Remstar 60 Series Auto CPAP). Will using a Auto CPAP for a month help in providing data to the doctor to decide upon my pressure requirements? My understanding is that an APAP being automatic generates air pressure necessary to keep the airway open. For moderate SA, can you just not start using an Auto CPAP? Can an Auto APAP substitute a sleep titration test?

Welcome

Titration is sometimes done that way. It is especially cost effective when you have obstructive apnea.

The machine you are considering is available at bargain prices right now.

The doctor's purpose in a month trial is to find a pressure range that best suits you; to see if you will be complaint (i.e. -use it.); and to see if the auto PAP is effective for you.

There is a financial risk in buying a machine if you do not know for sure what type of apnea you have. If you have central or mixed apnea, then an Auto PAP might not be the correct machine. You might need a Bilevel Auto; or an ASV PAP.

You should get a copy of your sleep report and read it carefully.

RE: Auto CPAP query - trish6hundred - 02-06-2016

Hi msapnea,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you start your CPAP journey and hang in there for more answers to your questions.

RE: Auto CPAP query - msapnea - 02-07-2016

(02-06-2016, 09:15 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(02-06-2016, 08:44 AM)msapnea Wrote: I have been diagnosed with moderate SA. The doctor has advised me to rent a CPAP machine for a month to check on the pressure and other sleep data necessary to kickstart my therapy. The cost of renting the machine and new mask is more or less equivalent to buying a new one. I am instead thinking of buying a Auto CPAP (Remstar 60 Series Auto CPAP). Will using a Auto CPAP for a month help in providing data to the doctor to decide upon my pressure requirements? My understanding is that an APAP being automatic generates air pressure necessary to keep the airway open. For moderate SA, can you just not start using an Auto CPAP? Can an Auto APAP substitute a sleep titration test?

Welcome

Titration is sometimes done that way. It is especially cost effective when you have obstructive apnea.

The machine you are considering is available at bargain prices right now.

The doctor's purpose in a month trial is to find a pressure range that best suits you; to see if you will be complaint (i.e. -use it.); and to see if the auto PAP is effective for you.

There is a financial risk in buying a machine if you do not know for sure what type of apnea you have. If you have central or mixed apnea, then an Auto PAP might not be the correct machine. You might need a Bilevel Auto; or an ASV PAP.

You should get a copy of your sleep report and read it carefully.

The report says moderate OSA and recommends usage of a CPAP machine. If APAP machines are automatic, i.e. give an air pressure required to keep your airway open, does one need to even go through a titration test to check on the pressure setting? Can I just not set the min and max pressure into the machine and allow it to do its job?

RE: Auto CPAP query - justMongo - 02-07-2016

(02-07-2016, 09:52 PM)msapnea Wrote: The report says moderate OSA and recommends usage of a CPAP machine. If APAP machines are automatic, i.e. give an air pressure required to keep your airway open, does one need to even go through a titration test to check on the pressure setting? Can I just not set the min and max pressure into the machine and allow it to do its job?

In a word: Yes.

RE: Auto CPAP query - msapnea - 02-09-2016

(02-07-2016, 10:13 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(02-07-2016, 09:52 PM)msapnea Wrote: The report says moderate OSA and recommends usage of a CPAP machine. If APAP machines are automatic, i.e. give an air pressure required to keep your airway open, does one need to even go through a titration test to check on the pressure setting? Can I just not set the min and max pressure into the machine and allow it to do its job?

In a word: Yes.

Thanks! I received the machine today. Have scanned through several videos on youtube but am unable to find a detailed setup video. Can I just switch on the machine and start using it? Or do i need to set it up on auto mode? I am using a PR System One DS560 REMstar Auto CPAP. Also read something about auto trial mode, which confuses me even more. I am led to believe auto trial mode was for an older CPAP fixed machine?

Do I need to feed in any data into the machine? The homecare company has not set anything into the machine. Would the auto pressure settings be set at the minimum and maximum?Do I need to tinker around with any settings or should it just be plug and play? Thanks!!

RE: Auto CPAP query - OpalRose - 02-09-2016

msapnea,
I would suggest you order the Clinicians Manual:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual

Your machine has the capability of Cpap or APAP (auto) mode. You will need to go into the providers menu to setup. Hold down round knob and the arrow to the right of knob at the same time till you hear it beep. Turn round knob to setup and choose auto setting. Then set a pressure range, minimum and maximum. Since you don't have a titration number, you are sort of guessing, but to start, set it to start at 6min and 14 max. You will need to download Sleephead software to monitor your pressure needs. You should watch your 90% pressure readings, and then can adjust accordingly.

The default setting is 4min and 20max, but most people feel starved for air with a setting that low.

You can also try Auto Trial Mode. I've never used it. I believe the machine will monitor your best pressure based on apnea events over a set period of time, then it automatically sets it to a straight pressure in Cpap mode, which may be based on the 90% pressure number. From that, you can put back in APAP mode, and use that number to set a pressure range, which would be min. start pressure at 2cm below the 90% number and 2cm above 90% number.

Ideally, you will have to monitor your pressure needs and AHI on Sleepyhead to determine changes.
http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/