Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Large leaks? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Large leaks? (/Thread-Large-leaks--12690)

Pages: 1 2

Large leaks? - alaskazimm - 02-09-2016

I've been on CPAP for the last 5 years or so and only just got a machine that has useful data. One that surprised me is the large leaks. Since I got the ResMed Airsense 10 Elite and have been on it for the past 4 days, the large leaks are being recorded as fairly regular. The thing is, they are being shown as up to 50 L/min. The thing is that neither I, nor my wife, have noticed anything that big. And my AHIs have been below 1.5 for all nights.

On the SleepyHead screenshot, at the times of the biggest leaks the flow rate doesn't show a corresponding jump. I use the Swift FX nasal pillows and the hose at the elbow has a built in (I assume calibrated) leak. Is that where the the Airsense 10 is getting the leak data from?

The forum is telling me I can't post images. How do I go about posting the SleepyHead screen shot?

RE: Large leaks? - alaskazimm - 02-09-2016

Here's last night's SleepyHead sceenshot.

[attachment=2129]

RE: Large leaks? - justMongo - 02-09-2016

Yes, you are leaking. 23% of the time.
ResMed subtracts out the mask vent rate and only reports the leakage rate. (The vent on the ResMed Swift FX are those holes in the elbow.)

Above 24 LPM leak, the effectiveness of therapy is compromised; and the data for events is unreliable.

I think your leaks are from an open mouth. Recommend a chin strap to remind mouth to stay closed.

BTW -- you did fine on attaching your screenshot.

RE: Large leaks? - alaskazimm - 02-09-2016

Interesting. I hadn't considered that I may be opening my mouth. I don't wake with dry mouth so I guess I overlooked that possibility.

Thank you for the advice Mongo!

RE: Large leaks? - DariaVader - 02-09-2016

agree with mongo... mouth leaks...

You may be able to train yourself to block with your tongue. Place tongue behind front teeth and create a light suction. When done correctly, and habitually, it will keep you from letting air out your mouth and interfering with your pressure.

RE: Large leaks? - pholynyk - 02-09-2016

Quote> at the times of the biggest leaks the flow rate doesn't show a corresponding jump <

I think - this occurred to me a couple of days ago - that the leaks, both intentional and unintentional, are comparatively steady state, like the DC component of an electrical current. Our breathing, on the other hand, varies at about 15 to 20 cycles per minute - more like the AC component superimposed on the steady leakage flow. I think it is fairly easy to make a digital filter to separate the two, and that is what they do to present the two graphs to us. (I think...)

I'm open to other suggestions, though...

RE: Large leaks? - trish6hundred - 02-10-2016

Hi alaskazimm,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP Therapy.

RE: Large leaks? - justMongo - 02-10-2016

The zero order frequency component when doing a DFT is the DC value (or steady state.)

I don't think it's that complicated. I believe the machine has tables for vent rate v pressure for different generic type masks.

RE: Large leaks? - alaskazimm - 02-11-2016

Thank you for the help everyone. I tried a home made chin strap and that was a non-starter since it wouldn't stay put. I've got on coming in the mail and should be here in a couple of days.

In the meantime I've taken DariaVader's suggestion to try to use my tongue as a block to prevent mouth leaks. As far as I can tell, I'm maintaining that through the night; or at least when I wake up my tongue is still on the back of my teeth and the nasal pillows don't seem to have shifted. However, I'm not sure that has solved my leak issues since the last two days have seen a leak rate of 7% and 9%. Certainly better, but it seems I could be doing better than that. AHIs remain below 1.

RE: Large leaks? - alaskazimm - 02-22-2016

Well, I'll be - my issue did seem to be mouth leaks. I wouldn't have thought it. Since the 16th when I got a chin strap in my large leaks have been way down. Last night was very good with 0.0% large leaks and an AHI of .24. I'm still not 100% used to the chin strap yet but I'm pleased with the results so far.

A very big thank you to all who took the time to help me out!