Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Transferring SleepyHead Data to 2nd Computer - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: Transferring SleepyHead Data to 2nd Computer (/Thread-Transferring-SleepyHead-Data-to-2nd-Computer)

Transferring SleepyHead Data to 2nd Computer - peelsaenpa - 02-27-2016

I have recently installed SleepyHead on my desktop computer & imported data from my SD card. In a few weeks I will be away from home for 3 weeks. I'm taking along my CPAP & laptop, so that I can continue using SleepyHead during that time.

It's a long story, but I had some problems importing data for the 1st time on my desktop computer. SleepyHead "paused" (program not responding) a couple of times & took much longer than expected to load about 8 months of data. My laptop is much slower than my desktop, so I anticipate possibly having similar (maybe worse?) problems with the 1st import.

My question is . . .
Can I install SleepyHead on my laptop & then simply copy "My Documents\SleepyHeadData-Testing\" (all folders & files) to a thumb drive & paste to the appropriate location on the laptop? That should be a "1-shot deal". When I return home (to my desktop computer) & for subsequent trips (with my laptop) SleepyHead will have smaller amounts of data to import (not the entire SD card).

RE: Transferring SleepyHead Data to 2nd Computer - Crimson Nape - 02-27-2016

Hi peelsaenpa.

Welcome to the forum.

The answer is, "Yes". I normally use my desktop with SleepyHead but wanted it on 2 laptops that I have. I just copied both main SleepyHead directories (program and data) to the laptops without any problems.

Good luck!

RE: Transferring SleepyHead Data to 2nd Computer - Sleeprider - 02-27-2016

I have also networked Sleepyhead to work on more than one computer in the same network on a shared drive. This avoids the need to maintain two data sets.

RE: Transferring SleepyHead Data to 2nd Computer - LanceC - 03-06-2016

(02-27-2016, 06:12 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have also networked Sleepyhead to work on more than one computer in the same network on a shared drive.
Sleeprider,
Do you download to your local PC and then transfer the data to your share or do you download directly to the share?
Have you noticed an increase in the time it takes to download your SD card?

I've started a thread on my problem with this here.

RE: Transferring SleepyHead Data to 2nd Computer - Sleeprider - 03-07-2016

Both computers simply point to the same location on the desktop server. On the desktop the path starts with C:\ users...Sleepyhead on the laptop, the drive on the desktop is mapped, so it is G:\users...Sleepyhead. The documents directories are shared anyway, and that is where Sleepyhead data resides. Keeping documents on a single drive and syncing backups avoids the problems of multiple versions that don't match.

There are a lot of ways to do this, and if you travel a lot, you could even point Sleepyhead to a cloud folder to sync. It doesn't take that much space.

RE: Transferring SleepyHead Data to 2nd Computer - LanceC - 03-07-2016

My setup is slightly different.

I have the SleepyHead data on a Dell file server. The 3 PCs I access it from all have the same share mapped.

This should work fine, but it takes 30 minutes to download an SD card and I have no idea why.

RE: Transferring SleepyHead Data to 2nd Computer - pholynyk - 03-07-2016

If you are having SleepyHead read the SD card on your local computer, but have the data stored on the network drive, I would suspect that the network and file system overhead of transferring each small record one at a time is what is killing you. I don't know that for certain because I haven't read the import code, but I think it's a safe bet that if you used the local computer as SleepyHead storage, things would go faster. Once the import was finished, you could rsync the files over to your network drive after you quit SleepyHead.

Feel free to rewrite those first two sentences into as many as you like... without changing the meaning, of course Smile

RE: Transferring SleepyHead Data to 2nd Computer - LanceC - 03-07-2016

(03-07-2016, 05:21 PM)pholynyk Wrote: If you are having SleepyHead read the SD card on your local computer, but have the data stored on the network drive, I would suspect that the network and file system overhead of transferring each small record one at a time is what is killing you. I don't know that for certain because I haven't read the import code, but I think it's a safe bet that if you used the local computer as SleepyHead storage, things would go faster. Once the import was finished, you could rsync the files over to your network drive after you quit SleepyHead.

Feel free to rewrite those first two sentences into as many as you like... without changing the meaning, of course Smile

If I store the files locally then sync them to the network it goes very quickly, yes. But also, just moving the local files to the network share goes quickly as well, so I'm not sure it's the overhead of many small files.

I may have to chalk it up to Stupid Computer Tricks™ and use Google Drive.