Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
11 year old - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: 11 year old (/Thread-11-year-old)

11 year old - SleeplessMom - 02-28-2016

My 11 year old is always tired, exhausted, pale and just not doing well. He had several issues in his young age, but no real diagnosis. In the past few months he has been having issues with feeling faint, dizzy and his heart racing. So last night I ran a pulse ox on him to see if it showed anything in general. Can any of you just give me your general opinions regarding his chart.

He has a Cardiology follow-up in a week, and has been seen once to establish care by a Pulmonary Dr. I personally am not affected by sleep apnea, but do have another child who has had sleep issues since birth.

I appreciate any comments![attachment=2208]

RE: 11 year old - Mosquitobait - 02-28-2016

I know nothing about childhood sleep apnea, but it looks like he has major drops during REM periods.

RE: 11 year old - PoolQ - 02-28-2016

Okay so I know NOTHING about childhood medical for anything.

That said, I would not expect to see O2 levels drop like that in a child. The good? news is that they are vey short. Average low is 93.7 which would be fine for an adult. Did you tape on the sensor? I use a band aid to hold it in place, not tight, just enough to keep it from moving around too much.

it's good to see that you are doing what you can to help your son. It will be interesting to hear what your Doctor things of this.

RE: 11 year old - SleeplessMom - 02-28-2016

(02-28-2016, 03:24 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Okay so I know NOTHING about childhood medical for anything.

That said, I would not expect to see O2 levels drop like that in a child. The good? news is that they are vey short. Average low is 93.7 which would be fine for an adult. Did you tape on the sensor? I use a band aid to hold it in place, not tight, just enough to keep it from moving around too much.

I did tape the SpO2 on him (not to tight) this is the third read I have done on him. Both had relatively the same average low at 93.9 and 93.6. I appreciate your response, after his first chart, I did reads on myself and other children and his chart(s) are far different then the others.

RE: 11 year old - trish6hundred - 02-28-2016

Hi SleeplessMom,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with getting your son's problem straightened out.
Much success to the both of you.

RE: 11 year old - PaulaO2 - 02-29-2016

You can ignore the extreme, sudden drops that have no matching heart rate increases or have extreme heart rate increase/decrease. Those are almost always "faults" with the device moving or something.

If this were mine, I would say the device was on too tight and it moved. That big drop at about the middle is a fault for sure. The cluster later has no unusual heart rate to go along with such sudden, very low drops. For this to be actual events, the heart would have definitely reacted strongly, even in a child.

Our sleeping blood sat rate is normal at above 92%. His average was 93.7. He spent less than 4 minutes under 88%.

Wait until the cardiologist visit. Keep him and you calm until then. You've got enough to worry about without adding to it.

RE: 11 year old - SleeplessMom - 02-29-2016

(02-29-2016, 12:09 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Wait until the cardiologist visit. Keep him and you calm until then. You've got enough to worry about without adding to it.

I appreciate your input and will try to keep us both calm before his appointment. With a family history (Father, youngest son) of CSA it has just been a nagging concern. It's best not to let my mind run away with what if thoughts!

Thanks!

RE: 11 year old - Ghost1958 - 03-01-2016

One of the surest ways to know if the child has apnea is watch the child sleep for several hours to see if the child stops or struggles to breathe.