Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Help with leak terminology and no flow rate data - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Help with leak terminology and no flow rate data (/Thread-Help-with-leak-terminology-and-no-flow-rate-data)

Help with leak terminology and no flow rate data - yankees123 - 03-02-2016

Can someone explain what it means when it says. Time over leak redline. According to Fisher & Paychel over 60l/min is considered large leak. Also I do not get a graph showing flow rate data. According to Sleepyhead software I should get this graph if I keep the usb stick in the machine overnight, but I have never seen this data. I have a F&P icon + auto cpap machine. Really appreciate anyone who can help.

RE: Help with leak terminology and no flow rate data - kaiasgram - 03-03-2016

I'm not familiar with your machine, but assuming it records high-res data to generate a Flow Rate graph (SleepyHead can only show what your machine records):

Be sure you have selected to display the Flow Rate graph, either in Preferences or click on the lower right corner (Events graph) on the daily view page to hide or unhide specific graphs.

RE: Help with leak terminology and no flow rate data - DeepBreathing - 03-03-2016

G'day Yankee123, welcome to the forum.

The large leak is a measure of when your mask is leaking so much the machine can't compensate for it. The time over the redline is just that - the amount of time you exceeded that limit during the night. A few minutes is no big deal, but if you're above the leak for a significant time then you need to take steps to reduce the leaks.

At the bottom right corner of the daily screen you will see a pop-up menu which allows you to select or de-select the chart you want displayed. Check that the leak graph is turned on.

RE: Help with leak terminology and no flow rate data - yankees123 - 03-03-2016

(03-03-2016, 06:53 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Yankee123, welcome to the forum.

The large leak is a measure of when your mask is leaking so much the machine can't compensate for it. The time over the redline is just that - the amount of time you exceeded that limit during the night. A few minutes is no big deal, but if you're above the leak for a significant time then you need to take steps to reduce the leaks.

At the bottom right corner of the daily screen you will see a pop-up menu which allows you to select or de-select the chart you want displayed. Check that the leak graph is turned on.

Thank you for all your help.

RE: Help with leak terminology and no flow rate data - Inspired - 03-03-2016

Welcome, Yankee 123,
Are you using Sleepyhead Software? If not, download it from this forum after reading up on it first (see "Sleepyhead" at the top of this page)
and you will get the data you need.
If you are using it already, look at your "Daily" page, on the left hand side under "Statistics", at the bottom of the list is "Time over Leak Redline". It is my understanding that if it is over 25 to 30 you are leaking so much that the AHI data is not valid. You must have leaks controlled before the software can correctly interpret the data. On good days mine is between 1 and 10. Today it was 16.9 so my data is valid but I still aim to get that leak rate lower.
I am no expert, this is just what I've read on this forum. Keep on reading and you will get all the info you need from the fine folks here.