Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore? (/Thread-Anyone-cured-and-not-using-the-CPAP-anymore)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore? - joeatmanila - 03-09-2016

Hello

I am a new member, I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and I use the APAP machine.
My sleep got extremely good, years I had not slept so good as I do now with the APAP.
My question is for how long did you use the CPAP/APAP until your condition got cured and not needing the machine no more, as per your doctor.
I do not have any other health issues and everything is fine.

RE: Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore? - palerider - 03-09-2016

cpap doesn't cure apnea any more than glasses cure fuzzy vision.... sorry.

RE: Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore? - player - 03-09-2016

CPAP might help with fuzzy vision...

RE: Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore? - DeepBreathing - 03-09-2016

Hi joeatmanila. Welcome to Apnea Board

Unfortunately apnea is a life-long condition. The machine treats it and keeps it under control but there is no cure. If you stopped using your machine, the apnea would be just as bad as before you started. That's one reason we always advise people to get the best quality machine they can - you and your machine are going to be life-long companions. Smile

(03-09-2016, 06:43 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: you and your machine are going to be life-long companions. Smile

wait, what? nobody told me?!?!?!

I'm on my fourth one so far, kept trading up Big Grin

RE: Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore? - GPSMapNut - 03-09-2016

(03-09-2016, 06:52 AM)palerider Wrote:
(03-09-2016, 06:43 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: you and your machine are going to be life-long companions. Smile

wait, what? nobody told me?!?!?!

I'm on my fourth one so far, kept trading up Big Grin

Wait, what? You can trade up? Nobody told me that! Wink I used my previous machine fort 11 years. You must be a CPAP junkie or something like that Laugh-a-lot

RE: Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore? - OpalRose - 03-09-2016

(03-09-2016, 05:37 AM)joeatmanila Wrote: Hello

I am a new member, I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and I use the APAP machine.
My sleep got extremely good, years I had not slept so good as I do now with the APAP.
My question is for how long did you use the CPAP/APAP until your condition got cured and not needing the machine no more, as per your doctor.
I do not have any other health issues and everything is fine.

Welcome to Apnea Board,
i agree with the post by DeepBreathing (see post #4)
You and your machine will be life long companions, mabye changing machines along the way. Smile

There is no cure for Sleep Apnea, only a treatment. A treatment that will help you sleep better, and possibly halt some serious disease, like high blood pressure and heart disease.

Embrace your machine and the therapy it provides. Sleep-well

RE: Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore? - eseedhouse - 03-09-2016

(03-09-2016, 05:37 AM)joeatmanila Wrote: My question is for how long did you use the CPAP/APAP until your condition got cured and not needing the machine no more, as per your doctor.

*PAP is not a cure, it is a treatment. Just like taking insulin doesn't cure your diabetes, PAP treatment does not cure your sleep apnea.

If you lose a *whole* lotta weight and get in great shape, that *might* cure your sleep apnea, but it probably won't, and if it does it won't be the APAP that does it.

It will make your treatment a whole lot more effective for sure, but losing tons of weight and getting in great shape isn't something all of us can do, and those who do it most often gain the weight back and get out of shape again. I am one of the "most". And now I'm too old to do either anyway.

I take insulin for my diabetes and I take APAP for my sleep apnea and I expect to continue doing both until I die. They keep me quite a bit healthier than I otherwise would be, so what's the problem?

(03-09-2016, 09:11 AM)GPSMapNut Wrote:
(03-09-2016, 06:52 AM)palerider Wrote: I'm on my fourth one so far, kept trading up Big Grin

Wait, what? You can trade up? Nobody told me that! Wink I used my previous machine fort 11 years. You must be a CPAP junkie or something like that Laugh-a-lot

*takes another hit* yes... you could *another hit* say that Big Grin

I had a respir M pro for a while, till I found a good deal on a used s9 elite, then thanks to not monitoring my treatment like I should have, I started to feel worse, after a while I said "waaaaait a minute" and check, my ahi had been creeping up for a month... AH, I should have an auto machine, I thought.

picked up a 560 on craigslist, but didn't like the way it felt, and didn't like the varying whine I could hear when breathing. so I ended up with a s9 vpap auto, also from craigslist. hand me downed the 560 to my bedmate, but was still annoyed by the up and down whine, so I started looking, and picked up another vpap auto... can't hear that at all... got a third to have as a spare in case either of the others fail.

I've also bought three adapts for a friend who's got CSR. and a VPAP Tx chameleon machine because it's just *wicked* cool...

RE: Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore? - cpdaniel - 03-09-2016

(03-09-2016, 06:22 PM)palerider Wrote: ... and a VPAP Tx chameleon machine because it's just *wicked* cool...

Indeed!