Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Started Therapy on Tuesday 3.8.16 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Started Therapy on Tuesday 3.8.16 (/Thread-Started-Therapy-on-Tuesday-3-8-16)

Pages: 1 2

Started Therapy on Tuesday 3.8.16 - KeithRCroteau - 03-11-2016

Hi all,

My name is Keith and I just started my CPAP therapy on Tuesday. First night was a bit odd being connected to everything. I did score a 99 out of a possible 100 for my "sleep score" and the only points i lost were due to getting up to go to the restroom twice.

I did feel better the next day and kept track of the fact that i didn't yawn until about 5pm (usually I yawn all day long).

Very exciting stuff.

The past few days have been similar in results (though last night the kids woke me up so I only had the machine on for 5 or so hours).

Things that seem to happen:
1- I feel like it takes a lot longer for me to get to sleep as I am bothered by the Darth Vader sounds.
2- I feel I wake up more often due to the hoses and mask getting in the way.

Do you all feel like this is the case when just starting out?

Thanks for any and all help!

RE: Started Therapy on Tuesday 3.8.16 - OpalRose - 03-11-2016

Hi KeithRCroteau,
Welcome to Apnea Board!
Yes, it is odd to be tethered to a hose and machine with a mask on your face, but you do eventually get used to it.

"Dearth Vader sounds"... Do you mean from you mask, or your machine? Either way, you must not have a leak problem with a 99 score, but sometimes we can hear our own breathing and that's annoying. I use a fan in my room and a humidifier, so it drowns out some of that.

Also, you can try a hose buddy or any hose hanging system to keep hose up and out of the way.

Good Luck and ask questions anytime.

RE: Started Therapy on Tuesday 3.8.16 - pholynyk - 03-11-2016

Regarding your item 1, I can only say that either I got used to the noise of breathing or the the machine stopped making it - or maybe the fan noise is covering it. It doesn't bother me anymore. I can't remember how long it took, but it's been a while since I noticed it.
For item 2, my hose comes over my headboard --- basically, horizontally off the Airsense and behind the side of the headboard, then up and over to the front where it can slide side to side as I roll over. I'm aware of turning over, and pulling the hose to suit, but it doesn't seem to bother me. All my masks so far have had an 18" shorty tube to attach to the hose, and I really like that. I would buy a shorty if a new mask didn't have one.
Other people have made or bought hose caddies to lift the hose to above the pillow. If you never move once you lie down, you might not need one Smile

RE: Started Therapy on Tuesday 3.8.16 - PoolQ - 03-11-2016

make sure your machine is on something soft so the night stand won't act like a speaker.
It's all new and just takes time. Hose hangers work great, they are all over the web under $10 and up, pick what you want.

When you have to hold you had in front of your face to make sure you turned it on, then you know you have adjusted.

RE: Started Therapy on Tuesday 3.8.16 - trish6hundred - 03-11-2016

Hi KeithRCroteau,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
This new way of sleeping can take some getting used to, but just stick with it, over time, it does get better.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: Started Therapy on Tuesday 3.8.16 - KeithRCroteau - 03-11-2016

"Darth Vader sounds"... Do you mean from you mask, or your machine? Either way, you must not have a leak problem with a 99 score, but sometimes we can hear our own breathing and that's annoying. I use a fan in my room and a humidifier, so it drowns out some of that.

I meant this from my mask but due to my breathing. I am already a heavy breather so when i place the mask over my face i can hear it and I sound like the super villain.

Doesn't seem to be due to leaks, but the effect the mask has on my breathing.

(03-11-2016, 04:58 PM)KeithRCroteau Wrote: "Darth Vader sounds"... Do you mean from you mask, or your machine? Either way, you must not have a leak problem with a 99 score, but sometimes we can hear our own breathing and that's annoying. I use a fan in my room and a humidifier, so it drowns out some of that.

I meant this from my mask but due to my breathing. I am already a heavy breather so when i place the mask over my face i can hear it and I sound like the super villain.

Doesn't seem to be due to leaks, but the effect the mask has on my breathing.

KeithR,
Make sure you have the correct mask setting on your machine. I don't use a ResMed, but I think there is a setting for type of mask. Make sure it is set for
Full Face Mask.

RE: Started Therapy on Tuesday 3.8.16 - pholynyk - 03-11-2016

While setting the mask type is important, I doubt that it will get rid of Darth Vader. If I pay attention, I can still hear noises from both the mask and the machine; it just doesn't bother me anymore.

RE: Started Therapy on Tuesday 3.8.16 - Mr. Van Winkle - 03-11-2016

(03-11-2016, 12:41 PM)KeithRCroteau Wrote: Hi all,

My name is Keith and I just started my CPAP therapy on Tuesday. First night was a bit odd being connected to everything. I did score a 99 out of a possible 100 for my "sleep score" and the only points i lost were due to getting up to go to the restroom twice.

I did feel better the next day and kept track of the fact that i didn't yawn until about 5pm (usually I yawn all day long).

Very exciting stuff.

The past few days have been similar in results (though last night the kids woke me up so I only had the machine on for 5 or so hours).

Things that seem to happen:
1- I feel like it takes a lot longer for me to get to sleep as I am bothered by the Darth Vader sounds.
2- I feel I wake up more often due to the hoses and mask getting in the way.

Thanks for any and all help!

Yes, I know it takes away for everything to settle in, but your heading in the right direction.
Just be patient it will all be old hat before you know it.
Sleep-well

There will come a time, when you will wake up in the middle of the night and feel for your mask to be sure it's on, because you won't notice the sounds or the pressure as you get used to it.