Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Quantity of Sleep - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Quantity of Sleep (/Thread-Quantity-of-Sleep)

Quantity of Sleep - hcubed - 03-14-2016

Last year the goal for my health was to get good quality sleep. I've accomplished that because for the first time in a long time, I don't feel tired and groggy during the day. I'm not cranky and overall I'm pretty happy. But there was something missing. I felt that I could have more energy. So earlier in the year I made it a goal to not only get quality sleep but increase the quantity of it. Last night was the first night I've ever slept for 8+ hours (well since my teen years). So far so good because I feel great today. Just wanted to share my experience.

RE: Quantity of Sleep - OpalRose - 03-14-2016

Great numbers!

RE: Quantity of Sleep - PoolQ - 03-14-2016

Trade you Smile great job!

RE: Quantity of Sleep - JudgeMental - 03-14-2016

Enviable numbers....Thumbs-up-2

RE: Quantity of Sleep - Sleepster - 03-14-2016

(03-14-2016, 11:42 AM)hcubed Wrote: Last night was the first night I've ever slept for 8+ hours (well since my teen years). So far so good because I feel great today. Just wanted to share my experience.

I feel much better on 8+ hours of sleep. I just wish it would happen more often!

RE: Quantity of Sleep - trish6hundred - 03-14-2016

Hi hcubed,
It's great to hear that you had such a good night sleep, keep up the good work.

RE: Quantity of Sleep - GrammaBear - 03-15-2016

(03-14-2016, 11:42 AM)hcubed Wrote: Last year the goal for my health was to get good quality sleep. I've accomplished that because for the first time in a long time, I don't feel tired and groggy during the day. I'm not cranky and overall I'm pretty happy. But there was something missing. I felt that I could have more energy. So earlier in the year I made it a goal to not only get quality sleep but increase the quantity of it. Last night was the first night I've ever slept for 8+ hours (well since my teen years). So far so good because I feel great today. Just wanted to share my experience.

When you increased the quantity of sleep, did you simply go to bed earlier or do you have other tips that may benefit forum members? Yesterday I had to get up much earlier to do a favor for a friend. As a result I was tired much earlier in the evening, so I went to bed probably an hour early. My machine this morning said I slept 10 hours and I don't think I've done that since I was much younger. Oddly enough I do have more energy today in completing my household chores. My Mother used to tell me I was in a better mood when I had more sleep. Maybe she was right? Rolleyes

RE: Quantity of Sleep - hcubed - 03-15-2016

Quote:When you increased the quantity of sleep, did you simply go to bed earlier or do you have other tips that may benefit forum members? Yesterday I had to get up much earlier to do a favor for a friend. As a result I was tired much earlier in the evening, so I went to bed probably an hour early. My machine this morning said I slept 10 hours and I don't think I've done that since I was much younger. Oddly enough I do have more energy today in completing my household chores. My Mother used to tell me I was in a better mood when I had more sleep. Maybe she was right? Rolleyes

I try to use the 10-3-2-1-0 rule

10 hours before bed: No more caffeine
3 hours before bed: No more food or alcohol
2 hours before bed: No more work
1 hour before bed: No more screen time
0: The number of times you hit the snooze button in the morning

RE: Quantity of Sleep - GrammaBear - 03-15-2016

Thank you for sharing your tips on getting better sleep. I am guilty of not following the first one as I do like a single piece of dark chocolate in the evening.

RE: Quantity of Sleep - TheDuke - 03-16-2016

The great sleep expert, Dr. William Dement of Stanford University, is very insistent that most Americans simply don't get enough sleep. I suggest that we apneacs should all read his book recalling his medical lifetime in sleep medicine. The book I suggest is: The Promise of Sleep by William C. Dement The book is aimed at the layman and isn't burdened with medical jargon.

As an aside, I am one of those people who really don't get enough sleep. I am a lifelong owl , and though I sleep well with my machine, I simply don't force myself to get to bed early.

TheDuke