Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Doc visit update - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Doc visit update (/Thread-Doc-visit-update)

Doc visit update - Charlie Sue - 03-22-2016

Had a follow up with my sleep doc today. It has been 6 months on apap with some struggle. I think I finally reached the slighly angry, stick up for myself phase of this process. I still do not always know exactly what I am looking at in Rescan and Sleepyhead, but thanks to all of you I am getting a better understanding.

I really do like my doc. He is former military, he does a good job of listening, and I don't find that he is dismissive. For me, it has been sorting through everything to decide what to talk to him about--or point out.

We agreed changing too many variables at once wouldn't tell us what worked or didn't. We agreed I'd finish titrating off a sleep med I have been on for 25 years, I'd try a new mask, and we try a teensy 1cm H20 EPR, then wait a month and consider a small bump in minimum pressure if I still think I need it. Doc knows I can get into the clinician menu to adjust and that did not seem to be a big problem.

Then it was off to the devil--err I mean durable medical equipment company. I bought an Amara View mask and will give that a try for a month. Seems like a good idea with allergy season looming here in Ohio.

Bottom line...feeling more empowered and not giving upI-love-Apnea-Board

Thanks for listening.

Charlie Sue

RE: Doc visit update - OpalRose - 03-22-2016

Charlie Sue,
Glad your appointment went well and you have a good relationship with your doctor.
I like your nickname for your DME. Got a chuckle out of that.

Mine just sent me the wrong size nasal pillows again. You would think after 16 months, they would get it right! Oh-jeez

RE: Doc visit update - PoolQ - 03-22-2016

Personally I love the Amara View even though there are some tricks to using it. Guessing that most masks have tricks to get them right.
Do not over tighten, it will hurt your nose.
When you look at where your nose goes you will see a slot to breathe through and a silicon strap part the goes against your face. This strap lies flat against your upper lip and not the underside of you nose.
The mask should just cover the very end of your nose.

Good luck and enjoy

RE: Doc visit update - Charlie Sue - 03-22-2016

(03-22-2016, 02:43 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Personally I love the Amara View even though there are some tricks to using it. Guessing that most masks have tricks to get them right.
Do not over tighten, it will hurt your nose.
When you look at where your nose goes you will see a slot to breathe through and a silicon strap part the goes against your face. This strap lies flat against your upper lip and not the underside of you nose.
The mask should just cover the very end of your nose.

Good luck and enjoy

Thanks for the tips!

Charlie Sue

RE: Doc visit update - trish6hundred - 03-22-2016

Hi Charlie Sue,
It’s great to hear your appointment went well and that your Dr. listens and doesn’t dismiss what you have to say.
Keep up the good work.