Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Question about getting up during night - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Question about getting up during night (/Thread-Question-about-getting-up-during-night)

Pages: 1 2

Question about getting up during night - NicholasB - 03-26-2016

When I get up to go to the bathroom, I take my mask off and leave the machine running. Should I be turning it off instead?

RE: Question about getting up during night - DeepBreathing - 03-26-2016

If you have Smartstart enabled it will turn off by itself. I always turn mine off as the noise would wake up SWMBO. The downside of turning it off is that you will need to go through a ramp period when you turn it back on (if you use ramp).

RE: Question about getting up during night - NicholasB - 03-26-2016

No, I don't use smart start. I was just worried about it accurately tracking my time during the night? If I turn it off will it still show a continuous time period or will it be broken up?

RE: Question about getting up during night - DeepBreathing - 03-26-2016

If you turn the machine off you will actually get a more accurate record. The record will be broken up, but the AHI and other indices will be properly calculated for the whole night. If you leave it running that time will be included in the total, even though you weren't hooked up. But unless you take very long breaks it's probably of little real consequence.

RE: Question about getting up during night - trish6hundred - 03-26-2016

Hi NicholasB,
I usually turn mine off when I get up and turn it on when I get back into bed.

RE: Question about getting up during night - OpalRose - 03-26-2016

Same here, just turn it off when I need to get up dining the night, then turn back on. I don't use ramp, so that is not an issue with me.

In addition, I don't use the Auto On/Off feature. It's easier just to press a button and stop the APAP.

The machine will show the separate time periods, but will calculate all hours slept correctly, and average your AHI correctly also. This is nothing to worry about. If your check your SleepyHead graphs, you can also correlate the time you got up to the break in the Flow and Pressure graphs.

RE: Question about getting up during night - NicholasB - 03-26-2016

Ok, thanks everyone!

RE: Question about getting up during night - Hornnumb2 - 03-26-2016

I have my auto on and off turned on but never could get the off to work, so when I get up I hit the off button and when I get back in I just start breathing and the machine comes back on.

RE: Question about getting up during night - stanleydean - 03-26-2016

My auto off has a delay so out of consideration for my wife I just hit the off button when I get up. Auto start does the job when I put the mask back on.

RE: Question about getting up during night - DariaVader - 03-26-2016

(03-26-2016, 12:10 PM)stanleydean Wrote: My auto off has a delay so out of consideration for my wife I just hit the off button when I get up. Auto start does the job when I put the mask back on.

ditto - except spousal concern is for husband Wink