Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Side sleeping position - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Side sleeping position (/Thread-Side-sleeping-position)

Pages: 1 2

Side sleeping position - 12344321 - 03-28-2016

apologies if this has been addressed ad nauseum... I searched the forum and couldn't find a specific thread for this.

I would like to hear tips for maintaining side sleeping position. I have tried tennis balls in the shirt (woke up with red marks on the back), backpack stuffed with towels and basketball (works but uncomfortable), etc.

I clearly sleep better on my side and wonder how I might comfortably "force" myself to remain on my side.

Surely someone has solved this?

Thanks!

RE: Side sleeping position - cate1898 - 03-28-2016

Welcome to the forum 12344321! Hope you get some good advice soon! Can't think of anything to help, but thought I'd say HI!

RE: Side sleeping position - FrankNichols - 03-28-2016

HI, I am just silly, but have you considered velcro? Sorry...

RE: Side sleeping position - Crimson Nape - 03-28-2016

Hi 12344321!

Welcome to the forum.

If you get better sleep on your side but keep turning to be on your back, I think I would look at your mattress and pillow. I'm just guessing here bit it would seem that your body is feeling uncomfortable in a side position and telling you to roll over.

Good luck in your quest.

RE: Side sleeping position - stanleydean - 03-28-2016

Hello,

For several years, even though I was a back sleeper I snored so loudly sleeping on my back that I forced myself (with lots of encouragement from my wife ) to sleep on my left side facing away from her side of the bed. After I finally got a sleep study and CPAP I thought oh boy, now I can go back to sleeping on my back. Well, #1, it isn't recommend for us with apnea and #2, I no longer really wanted to sleep on my back. Now I can't wait to get settled in on my side after putting the mask on. So, I'm thinking , bite the bullet for a time and see if you can't adjust to it. If not I believe a back sleeper CAN survive.

RE: Side sleeping position - FrankNichols - 03-28-2016

(03-28-2016, 01:50 PM)stanleydean Wrote: Hello,

For several years, even though I was a back sleeper I snored so loudly sleeping on my back that I forced myself (with lots of encouragement from my wife ) to sleep on my left side facing away from her side of the bed. After I finally got a sleep study and CPAP I thought oh boy, now I can go back to sleeping on my back. Well, #1, it isn't recommend for us with apnea and #2, I no longer really wanted to sleep on my back. Now I can't wait to get settled in on my side after putting the mask on. So, I'm thinking , bite the bullet for a time and see if you can't adjust to it. If not I believe a back sleeper CAN survive.

I had the same experience, I originally was a back sleeper and forced myself to sleep on my side years ago, in order to sleep through the night and reduce the snoring. Now, I can't sleep on my back. In fact it was a problem in my titration study because the tech wanted me to sleep on my back and I kept turning onto my side as soon as I feel asleep.

RE: Side sleeping position - 12344321 - 03-28-2016

It's encouraging to hear from you who have trained yourself to side sleep. While I don't mind side sleeping, and I go to sleep this way, my sleeping self inevitably chooses back sleeping at times during the night. My husband rolls me over when he finds me on my back, but this is not practical. I don't feel that I sleep as well on my back, and the machine data shows more events when I do so.

RE: Side sleeping position - 0rangebear - 03-28-2016

(03-28-2016, 04:00 PM)12344321 Wrote: It's encouraging to hear from you who have trained yourself to side sleep. While I don't mind side sleeping, and I go to sleep this way, my sleeping self inevitably chooses back sleeping at times during the night. My husband rolls me over when he finds me on my back, but this is not practical. I don't feel that I sleep as well on my back, and the machine data shows more events when I do so.

If you put a long body pillow behind you when you go to sleep, f you then roll over in your sleep you'll still be elevate by the pillow. The deeper the pillow the higher the elevation.

http://bestreviews.com/5-best-body-pillows

RE: Side sleeping position - trish6hundred - 03-28-2016

Hi 12344321,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Have you thought about getting a body pillow? I hope this helps you, I have the same problem, I start out on my side and later on in the night, I roll over onto my back.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

RE: Side sleeping position - Daisylouu - 03-28-2016

I can no longer sleep on my side due to shoulder and collarbone issues, oh how I wish that I could because my apnea is not being controlled. However, when I COULD sleep on my side, I was able to maintain the position by putting my bed against a wall. So I could prop my back against it, and hold a body pillow in front of me.