Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Pain medication limitations after surgery? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Pain medication limitations after surgery? (/Thread-Pain-medication-limitations-after-surgery)

Pages: 1 2

Pain medication limitations after surgery? - pumpkln - 03-30-2016

Has anyone been told their pain medications will be limited after surgery because of sleep apnea?

RE: Pain medication limitations after surgery? - PaulaO2 - 03-30-2016

You have an autoPAP. It can take care of any issues you may have. If necessary, the maximum pressure can be increased to compensate.

As someone who takes narcotic pain meds and NSAIDs, I can verify this.

And, honestly, keeping you in pain will disrupt your sleep more and that is something the APAP cannot compensate for.

RE: Pain medication limitations after surgery? - pumpkln - 03-30-2016

Thanks Paula,
I have APAP and do not see why pain medications would be a problem.

It shouldn't. Yes, pain medications are going to repress breathing but your sleep apnea is being treated. If it were me, I would not agree to this. Discuss it with the anesthesiologist who could explain it better to the idiot doctor who told you this. If it was the anesthesiologist who said this, then request another one.

RE: Pain medication limitations after surgery? - pumpkln - 03-30-2016

Thanks for the advice. I will ask the anesthesiologist about this.

RE: Pain medication limitations after surgery? - sdb7802 - 03-30-2016

Tell that dumb ass that you have a very low pain threshold.

RE: Pain medication limitations after surgery? - Mosquitobait - 03-31-2016

No, there is no point to changing pain medications if you are using your machine UNLESS you have other medical problems that they have concerns about such as muscular dystrophy. My late SIL had to be on a ventilator when they gave her pain medication other than Codeine #2, because it suppressed her breathing too much. She had MD. They did not change her pain medications based on that - they simply provided more support.

RE: Pain medication limitations after surgery? - usertc - 04-04-2016

No. I had a 2 level spinal fusion at Stanford and was given fentanyl AND percocet (oxycodone+acetaminophen) AND pure oxycodone AND flexeril (muscle relaxer), all together after surgery and was sent home with that cocktail. They put you on a ventilator during surgery with a tube down your throat, so OSA isn't an issue during surgery, and an anesthesiologist watches your O2 levels, heart rate etc the whole time anyway.

After surgery, my O2 levels were low despite using a CPAP, so they added O2.

RE: Pain medication limitations after surgery? - kwhenrykerr - 05-20-2016

How has the added oxygen worked for you ? Thanks