Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
I hate this. I'm worried I won't make compliance and will never learn to tolerate it - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: I hate this. I'm worried I won't make compliance and will never learn to tolerate it (/Thread-I-hate-this-I-m-worried-I-won-t-make-compliance-and-will-never-learn-to-tolerate-it)

Pages: 1 2 3

I hate this. I'm worried I won't make compliance and will never learn to tolerate it - allynpsych - 04-11-2016

I'm feeling so discouraged. I had hoped my new swift nano for her nasal mask would be more successful than the full face mask. It is fairly comfortable especially since I can more easily lay on my side with relative comfort. But I can't seem to get the hang of the tongue suck seal and three times I woke up choking on the full pressure pouring into my mouth. Plus, it feels stronger with the nasal mask than the face mask and I feel like my chest muscles get fatigued. I did get 3 hours in, although I had 4 mask on/off. Even if my daughter hadn't woken me up in the middle of the night I would have eventually taken it off. I feel like I can't ever fall into a deep sleep without being woken up by some aspect of the mask or pressure etc. I'm tired and still recovering from a cold that just won't quit, but I'm feel pressure to try try try to get those damn 4 hours a night.

I used to love going to bed, relaxing and falling asleep... even if I know it wasn't good sleep because of apnea... it still felt like better sleep than this! I feel like driving by the HomeCare place and chucking the damn machine on their door step.

What happens if you don' get your 70% compliance in 90 days? I know I signed some papers, but I can't find them at the moment.

Hoping for better results tonight.

RE: I hate this. I'm worried I won't make compliance and will never learn to tolerate it - FrankNichols - 04-11-2016

It isn't just 4 hours a night - normally - at least for me, it is per day, so you can sit and watch TV and nap with it on for an hour a couple times a day. I am pretty sure. One thing I am sure, is that there are others here that will know and will chime in shortly to let you know and help with suggestions.

RE: I hate this. I'm worried I won't make compliance and will never learn to tolerate it - PoolQ - 04-11-2016

have you changed the mask type in the menu?
non-compliance-they take the equipment back
"use of PAP devices for 4 or more hours per night on 70% of nights during a consecutive 30-day period anytime during the first 3 months of initial use" you have 90 days to achieve this you can miss 9 days (30%) of the time in any 30 day window. the 30 day window must be consecutive, but the 4 hours does not have to be. Any 4 hours is fine.

It took me a while to get used to air puffing out my cheeks with my FFM, it does not do that at all any more
so what does it feel like when you want to take the mask off? cant exhale? starving for air? the air is "thick"? try and describe it as best you can.

You are taking the mask off for a reason and I doubt that it's do to your AHI number. Something is making you uncomfortable enough to tak the mask off. We need to figure out what that is and "fix" it.

RE: I hate this. I'm worried I won't make compliance and will never learn to tolerate it - 0rangebear - 04-11-2016

I understand how you feel, because feel felt like I was in hell myself Angry for the first few weeks. Bug-eyed I also slept better before I started therapy, than I did with therapy for the first six weeks. Annoyed-and-disappointed Then it began to equalize. Wink

I gave my machine a few names I wouldn't repeat in mixed company. (and I am talking about Marines and Sailors) Perturbed

I would stare at the clock awake watching the minutes click away to the 4 HR mark so I could take the mask off.Crazy

But don't Oh-jeez give up. You can get through it. As your body adjusts to the therapy. Just we aware that I may take months to get there.oldman

Typically the compliance rules are 4 hours and 21 days in month. I would recommend you clarify the rules with you insurance provider they may only want one month and it may be the third month they wan in the first 90 days.

I took days off one day a week because 6 days a week is 24.4 days for the month which allowed me 3.4 days where I did not have to have 4 hours.

You should talk to your doctor about days off because on thing I learned from the forum is there are some comorbidities that are high risk without the mask, like COPD and congestive heart failure. if this is the case you need to get us to the mask sooner rather than later.

We have some good people ion the forum that can talk to that issue better than I so stay tuned Okay

http://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/19792/Print

(04-11-2016, 03:11 PM)allynpsych Wrote: I'm feeling so discouraged. I had hoped my new swift nano for her nasal mask would be more successful than the full face mask. It is fairly comfortable especially since I can more easily lay on my side with relative comfort. But I can't seem to get the hang of the tongue suck seal and three times I woke up choking on the full pressure pouring into my mouth. Plus, it feels stronger with the nasal mask than the face mask and I feel like my chest muscles get fatigued. I did get 3 hours in, although I had 4 mask on/off. Even if my daughter hadn't woken me up in the middle of the night I would have eventually taken it off. I feel like I can't ever fall into a deep sleep without being woken up by some aspect of the mask or pressure etc. I'm tired and still recovering from a cold that just won't quit, but I'm feel pressure to try try try to get those damn 4 hours a night.

I used to love going to bed, relaxing and falling asleep... even if I know it wasn't good sleep because of apnea... it still felt like better sleep than this! I feel like driving by the HomeCare place and chucking the damn machine on their door step.

What happens if you don' get your 70% compliance in 90 days? I know I signed some papers, but I can't find them at the moment.

RE: I hate this. I'm worried I won't make compliance and will never learn to tolerate it - Phill - 04-12-2016

"I used to love going to bed, relaxing and falling asleep... even if I know it wasn't good sleep because of apnea... it still felt like better sleep than this! I feel like driving by the HomeCare place and chucking the damn machine on their door step."

Exactly the same thing that I had when the ******* medic said I had been diagnosed with apnea, "but I sleep long and well", ah says he, but it is not a "good sleep", then we got the warning about stroke and heart attack.
Sleep is just bad as it was several months back, other than the 14 day trial I did without the machine, during which needless to say I slept well.

Anyway, I go to see them again in a couple of weeks, when my machine is likely to join yours on their doorstep.Dielaughing

RE: I hate this. I'm worried I won't make compliance and will never learn to tolerate it - CHanlon - 04-12-2016

(04-11-2016, 03:39 PM)PoolQ Wrote: non-compliance-they take the equipment back
"use of PAP devices for 4 or more hours per night on 70% of nights during a consecutive 30-day period anytime during the first 3 months of initial use" you have 90 days to achieve this you can miss 9 days (30%) of the time in any 30 day window. the 30 day window must be consecutive, but the 4 hours does not have to be. Any 4 hours is fine.

Wow... that would be nice.

Here in Ontario, Canada...don't know about the rest of Canada... but here... non-compliance can result in losing your driver's licence. Can't drive if you can't stay awake. Doctors are required to report within 10 days, if you're not being treated.

RE: I hate this. I'm worried I won't make compliance and will never learn to tolerate it - Phill - 04-12-2016

Regarding driving, I quote from a letter received from my hospital.

"If you hold a driving licence, it is necessary to inform the DVLA(our licensing authority) of this diagnosis. It is necessary to be on effective treatment in order to maintain a driving licence. Even on treatment you should not drive when feeling sleepy or excessively tired."

As I understand it it is down to the patient to contact the DVLA, not the doctor, as indicated in the letter.
There was an especially bad instance in Scotland where a heavy lorry driver who had previous form, with similar symptoms, lost control and killed six people. He had lied through his back teeth to his employers.

Under normal circumstances I have not felt sleepy or excessively tired while driving, however I do not appear to suffer from any of the symptoms described by members of this site.Dont-know

RE: I hate this. I'm worried I won't make compliance and will never learn to tolerate it - Adoniscmj - 04-12-2016

(04-11-2016, 03:11 PM)allynpsych Wrote: I'm feeling so discouraged. I had hoped my new swift nano for her nasal mask would be more successful than the full face mask. It is fairly comfortable especially since I can more easily lay on my side with relative comfort. But I can't seem to get the hang of the tongue suck seal and three times I woke up choking on the full pressure pouring into my mouth. Plus, it feels stronger with the nasal mask than the face mask and I feel like my chest muscles get fatigued. I did get 3 hours in, although I had 4 mask on/off. Even if my daughter hadn't woken me up in the middle of the night I would have eventually taken it off. I feel like I can't ever fall into a deep sleep without being woken up by some aspect of the mask or pressure etc. I'm tired and still recovering from a cold that just won't quit, but I'm feel pressure to try try try to get those damn 4 hours a night.

I know what you mean, I have been on it now for a year or so and I still can't get 4 hours per night. I hate this thing with a passion. Still I need it so I continue to suffer with it. Not many other options out there that are good. I think some time is better than no time. You may want to adjust your pressure down so it is more tolerable. If you don't make your own adjustments call your doctor and tell them the pressure is to high. It should be comfortable for you, not like trying to breathe in a hurricane.

RE: I hate this. I'm worried I won't make compliance and will never learn to tolerate it - Shastzi - 04-12-2016

allynpsych,

One thing you need to do is start using SleepyHead.
It could be something as simple as getting too many leaks while you're trying to sleep.
If too much air leaks from the system then it can't do much good for you.

The folks here will help you with this and get you dialed in so your issues get taken care of, then you'll be able to adapt to the therapy and
start getting some decent rest!

Hang in there and don't give up!

Sleep-well

RE: I hate this. I'm worried I won't make compliance and will never learn to tolerate it - allynpsych - 04-12-2016

(04-12-2016, 02:37 PM)Shastzi Wrote: allynpsych,

One thing you need to do is start using SleepyHead.
It could be something as simple as getting too many leaks while you're trying to sleep.
If too much air leaks from the system then it can't do much good for you.

The folks here will help you with this and get you dialed in so your issues get taken care of, then you'll be able to adapt to the therapy and
start getting some decent rest!

Hang in there and don't give up!

Sleep-well

I did download SleepyHead... but it seems that although I can get the overview stats, the AirSense10 CPAP doesn't record the daily settings (It says "Brick" on that tab), so I'm still fumbling in the dark a bit. I am using MyAir which isn't super, and for some reason doesn't always agree with SleepyHead on AHI rates. I'm looking into getting an Auto PAP (APAP??) but I'm trying to understand the difference between them so I don't sound like an idiot when I tell the DME people that I want one.