Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Trialling Mask Number 5 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Trialling Mask Number 5 (/Thread-Trialling-Mask-Number-5)

Trialling Mask Number 5 - StaffyGirl - 04-13-2016

I had my titration study last night. I'm still searching for the "right" mask for me...every single one so far leaks too much. I spent all morning reading the mask reviews on here, before seeing my nurse this afternoon.

So far I've tried:

* Quattro Mirage - bought it at diagnosis in 2013, discontinued for 3yrs due to leaking. Nurse now informs me it isn't the right size for me.

* Amara View - tried last month. Super comfy and compact, but leaks excessively.

* Pilairo Nasal (with chinstrap) - AHI doubled, and sore inner-nose after a week.

* F & P Simplus - Tried it last night during study. Tech commented it leaked a lot.

* F10 - Trying it tonight for a week. Handled a pressure of 20 at fitting without leak, so feeling hopeful.

I don't get study results for 2-3wks, so I am adjusting my pressure setting tonight to 16 (yes, I read the DANGER thread by Chip & others, but I'm doing it with my nurse's knowledge and basing it on the fact that the auto machine used at the study had a pressure of 20-something through the night when I looked at it). Unfortunately the Tech said she couldn't tell me what the pressures were that I used throughout last night, so I was disappointed in that. But I'm erring on conservative by only going to 16 from 12.

RE: Trialling Mask Number 5 - Asjb - 04-13-2016

(04-13-2016, 01:02 AM)StaffyGirl Wrote: I had my titration study last night. I'm still searching for the "right" mask for me...every single one so far leaks too much. I spent all morning reading the mask reviews on here, before seeing my nurse this afternoon.

So far I've tried:

* Quattro Mirage - bought it at diagnosis in 2013, discontinued for 3yrs due to leaking. Nurse now informs me it isn't the right size for me.

* Amara View - tried last month. Super comfy and compact, but leaks excessively.

* Pilairo Nasal (with chinstrap) - AHI doubled, and sore inner-nose after a week.

* F & P Simplus - Tried it last night during study. Tech commented it leaked a lot.

* F10 - Trying it tonight for a week. Handled a pressure of 20 at fitting without leak, so feeling hopeful.

I don't get study results for 2-3wks, so I am adjusting my pressure setting tonight to 16 (yes, I read the DANGER thread by Chip & others, but I'm doing it with my nurse's knowledge and basing it on the fact that the auto machine used at the study had a pressure of 20-something through the night when I looked at it). Unfortunately the Tech said she couldn't tell me what the pressures were that I used throughout last night, so I was disappointed in that. But I'm erring on conservative by only going to 16 from 12.

Hello. Just to mention you might want to try the Simplus again but in a large enough size that allows for you to tuck your chin *inside* the mask, i.e. it cups under the chin. My technician suggested that and it cured most leaks, and I find it very comfortable and secure (I'm a somewhat restless side-sleeper).

I have high pressures too (up to 24) and the Simplus has been great. The only other thing I found that helped was to use a mask liner - this has improved the leak rate a little bit more but, more importantly, stops the loud noise from brief 'mask fart' leaks, which used to wake me up.

Each night I hit my max pressure, tho' maybe just briefly, and my 95% excess leaks are virtually always less than 2, usually zero.

Hope you find the right mask and set-up soon - the day *will* come!
..............................................................................................
My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 12-14. PS 3-10

RE: Trialling Mask Number 5 - StaffyGirl - 04-13-2016

(04-13-2016, 03:28 AM)Asjb Wrote: Hello. Just to mention you might want to try the Simplus again but in a large enough size that allows for you to tuck your chin *inside* the mask, i.e. it cups under the chin. My technician suggested that and it cured most leaks, and I find it very comfortable and secure (I'm a somewhat restless side-sleeper).

I have high pressures too (up to 24) and the Simplus has been great. The only other thing I found that helped was to use a mask liner - this has improved the leak rate a little bit more but, more importantly, stops the loud noise from brief 'mask fart' leaks, which used to wake me up.

Each night I hit my max pressure, tho' maybe just briefly, and my 95% excess leaks are virtually always less than 2, usually zero.

Hope you find the right mask and set-up soon - the day *will* come!
..............................................................................................

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, Asjb. I will try the Simplus again, if I have no luck with this F10. I'll keep in mind the chin tuck strategy (I too am quite restless, preferring side to back).

I have read about the mask liners today, actually. I read about people cutting up a shirt as a custom-made liner. I will look into Remzzz, thank you. I thought they may actually "break" the seal between the face and the silicone/latex etc, so I was reluctant to try them. It's good to hear they work for you, and your pressure is high too.

I am looking forward to finding the "right" match. I've read on here about the "sweet spot", but I'm beginning to think it may be easier finding the lost city of Atlantis than finding my elusive spot!Unsure

RE: Trialling Mask Number 5 - Asjb - 04-13-2016

(04-13-2016, 05:27 AM)StaffyGirl Wrote: Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, Asjb. I will try the Simplus again, if I have no luck with this F10. I'll keep in mind the chin tuck strategy (I too am quite restless, preferring side to back).

I have read about the mask liners today, actually. I read about people cutting up a shirt as a custom-made liner. I will look into Remzzz, thank you. I thought they may actually "break" the seal between the face and the silicone/latex etc, so I was reluctant to try them. It's good to hear they work for you, and your pressure is high too.

I am looking forward to finding the "right" match. I've read on here about the "sweet spot", but I'm beginning to think it may be easier finding the lost city of Atlantis than finding my elusive spot!Unsure

Well, you might have a better chance than most of finding Atlantis given, I assume, it's still under water - at least you have experience with a mask and air hose!

Re the Remzzzs - I found them astonishingly expensive so have only ever bought one pack. I bought some 100% knitted cotton T-shirt material (thin) ready to make my own liners when the pack runs out. The manufacturers (of course they do...) say change the liner every night. Rubbish! Mine last at least a week before they seem to leak a bit again. Some Board Members say they have washed and ironed theirs - I tried it and the liners were too pale and wan to work properly any more (but we have extremely hard water here).

There have been previous posts here about the best way to fit the liners on to the mask and your face.

Also - an old chestnut but you may not have read it already? Most people find that washing their face with soap and water is much better for leaks than just water alone. And of course going nowhere near any facial moisturisers at night.

............................................................................................

RE: Trialling Mask Number 5 - FrankNichols - 04-13-2016

Your experience proves the point that each person has their own "best mask". I am trying to make the F10 work for me, but anything over 12 and it starts leaking. I was trying to run at 14 last night and it was not fun. I spent all night waking up to leaks and adjusting/tweaking it. I am amazed you got it to 20 with no leaks! Good luck, I really like the F10 when it works, at 10 it was perfect and comfortable for me unfortunately my AHI is 16 to 20 at a pressure of 10, at a pressure of 15 my AHI is about 3.5.

RE: Trialling Mask Number 5 - PoolQ - 04-13-2016

personally I have been able to fit all masks I have tried and nothing was easy straight out of the box. Each one had its own personality, tug here-push there, too tight/too lose. They all seem to have a sweet spot and these are different for each person.

I try and use the "mask fit" selection on my machine and try hard to find the sweet spot without actually sleeping. Sitting up first, laying on my back, then on my side.

I have also found that every mask I have tried has required a re-sitting once the air was flowing-pull it away from my face and let it sit back down, then with some I also had to pull them mask down towards my chin to get it to seal around the bridge of my nose.

Once I have found the sweet spot it has been good and steady.

Also straps are adjusted 1/8" at a time, they are very sensitive to this. I basically wore out the Velcro on my first mask trying to get it right.

RE: Trialling Mask Number 5 - trish6hundred - 04-13-2016

Hi StaffyGirl,
I know it gets frustrating trying mask after mask and still not getting a good fit, but just keep trying, you will get there.
Good luck finding a mask that will work for you, don’t give up.