Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Coated tongue? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Coated tongue? (/Thread-Coated-tongue)

Coated tongue? - allynpsych - 04-15-2016

Anyone develop a coating on their tongue and a "dry look" to your tongue along with sore throat? Is this due to mouth leaks? It seems worse with my nasal mask than ffm.

RE: Coated tongue? - Possum - 04-15-2016

I think your intuition is serving you well on this one - most likely due to mouth leak. Once that seal is broken, imagine gale force winds going through your mouth all night, or even for a little while - not very pleasant situation for your mouth, as it needs to remain lubricated to keep gum disease and tooth decay at bay. Check out your data in Sleepyhead. You should be able to see them in the Leak graph.

The solution to mouth leak, assuming you want to continue using a non-FFM, is either a chin strap, or the more natural solution of learning to create a seal in your mouth with the "tongue suck" technique (described in all of Daria Vader's posts, in her signature). I've never had much luck with it, but I'm fortunate enough to wake up when I have mouth leak, and I just roll over on my stomach and bury my chin in the pillow to keep my mouth shut. That's one of the many reasons I adore the P10 mask, as it allows you that freedom. Smile

RE: Coated tongue? - PoolQ - 04-15-2016

Pretty sure that a dry mouth means dry teeth and gums also, and pretty sure that can lead to decay

RE: Coated tongue? - allynpsych - 04-15-2016

(04-15-2016, 02:11 PM)Possum Wrote: I think your intuition is serving you well on this one - most likely due to mouth leak. Once that seal is broken, imagine gale force winds going through your mouth all night, or even for a little while - not very pleasant situation for your mouth. Check out your data in Sleepyhead. You should be able to see them in the Leak graph.

The solution to mouth leak, assuming you want to continue using a non-FFM, is either a chin strap, or the more natural solution of learning to create a seal in your mouth with the "tongue suck" technique (described in all of Daria Vader's posts, in her signature). I've never had much luck with it, but I'm fortunate enough to wake up when I have mouth leak, and I just roll over on my stomach and bury my chin in the pillow to keep my mouth shut. That's one of the many reasons I adore the P10 mask, as it allows you that freedom. Smile

Yes, I'm like you, I keep waking up when my tongue falls as my mouth is slowly filling with air just before it explodes out of my lips with a little "burp" (or so my husband describes it). My jaw remains closed though so I'm not sure a chin strap would help. I'll have to keep working on the tongue suck... as I otherwise love the wisp nano since it lets me sleep on my side! Sleep-on-pillowI-love-Apnea-Board

RE: Coated tongue? - holden4th - 04-16-2016

A coated tongue is usually seen by the medical profession as some sort of health issue. Plus the sore throat would tend to back this up. Unless you're a smoker, I'd get this checked.