Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel (/Thread-Using-CPAP-on-a-plane-for-Overnight-Travel)

Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel - Chrys23 - 06-28-2012

Hello! I would like to request your kind assistance!
I am traveling to Paris at the end of August and will be taking an overnight flight. I will need to use my CPAP Machine (Remstar Plus M Series by Respironics) on the plane however:

1) My insurance will not cover a batter back pack
2) I called the airline and there is no power source on the plane and they cannot guarantee there will be
3) Battery packs on their own are $600!!

Any suggestions on how I can use my machine on the plane? Someone suggested going to Radio Shack(??) however, I don't know what for and what I need.

Any assistance would be wonderful!
Many thanks,
Chrys Thanks

RE: Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel - BabyDoc - 06-28-2012

Welcome

You should be able to get a battery supply for your machine for a lot less than $600. I just got an email today from Supplier #9. They are advertising a battery pack for about $260 that weighs about 2 lbs and should work with your machine. It holds a charge for about 2 nights of usage.

RE: Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel - Chrys23 - 06-28-2012

Thanks BabyDoc -- you are right, I went to a supplier [commercial link removed per Apnea Board rules] and theirs is $249. I wonder if I should make the investment just for one overnight flight Thinking-about

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

RE: Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel - mjbearit - 06-28-2012

(06-28-2012, 10:59 AM)Chrys23 Wrote: I wonder if I should make the investment just for one overnight flight Thinking-about

First off Welcome
Secondly, it is not really just for one night. Once you make that investment you are prepared for a short electrical outage, flight cancellations that force an overnight stay, etc. It really is a good investment! Just my opinion!

RE: Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel - Chrys23 - 06-28-2012

Hi and thanks for the welcome MJ!!

True! I just wish the insurance would cover it!! LOL

RE: Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel - mjbearit - 06-28-2012

(06-28-2012, 11:59 AM)Chrys23 Wrote: Hi and thanks for the welcome MJ!!

I hear ya, but to be fair they cover the normal and usual things. An overnight plane trip is viewed as neither normal or usual so we do what we have to do for our health! Welcome to poverty! Smile

RE: Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel - trish6hundred - 06-28-2012

Hi Chrys23,
First, Welcome! to the forum. A battery pack is a good investment just in case the power should go out, like mj said. Hope your trip goes well.

RE: Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel - worthog - 06-28-2012

(06-28-2012, 12:04 PM)mjbearit Wrote:
(06-28-2012, 11:59 AM)Chrys23 Wrote: Hi and thanks for the welcome MJ!!

I hear ya, but to be fair they cover the normal and usual things. An overnight plane trip is viewed as neither normal or usual so we do what we have to do for our health! Welcome to poverty! Smile

When I fly with Air New Zealand to the states, they supply a seat with power socket just below the window, its usa type plug, so needed an adaptor

No issues at all

RE: Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel - ssher88 - 07-12-2012

Make sure the CPAP is approved for use by the airline your flying on. Also, make sure your reservation is updated to reflect your using an approved device. that way no issues with the flight crew.

RE: Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel - PaulaO2 - 07-12-2012

Ha. You'd still have issues. Remind the staff person at the gate. And then the stewardess. Messages do not always get passed along.