Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
no chin strap till monday - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: no chin strap till monday (/Thread-no-chin-strap-till-monday)

no chin strap till monday - jxyzobrien - 04-28-2016

anything i can create till then
thanks for advice

air apparently not going down throat

RE: no chin strap till monday - OpalRose - 04-28-2016

(04-28-2016, 08:05 AM)jxyzobrien Wrote: anything i can create till then
thanks for advice

air apparently not going down throat

Try White Stretchy Gauze about 3 to 4 inches wide. Place under chin and pull up to top of head and tie off. You will probably have to cut it to size. Don't make too tight.
Sleep-well

RE: no chin strap till monday - Crimson Nape - 04-28-2016

A short length of Ace bandage.

RE: no chin strap till monday - OpalRose - 04-28-2016

(04-28-2016, 08:35 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: A piece of Ace bandage.

Better yet! Would be a little sturdier than gauze. like

RE: no chin strap till monday - FrankNichols - 04-28-2016

I second and third the idea of an Ace bandage - I am getting one today! I HATE my Respironics Premium Chin Strap.

RE: no chin strap till monday - big_dave - 04-28-2016

I used a headband temporarily as a chinstrap before I got a real chinstrap. It stretched out quickly, but I could shrink it back down in the washing machine.

RE: no chin strap till monday - holden4th - 04-29-2016

Try a soft cervical collar instead. Most large pharmacies (drug stores?) carry them. I found it a big improvement over a chinstrap and they're a lot cheaper as well.

RE: no chin strap till monday - FrankNichols - 04-29-2016

I ran out to Wally World and got a 4 inch Ace Bandage and tried it last night. Cost $1.98.

The Good:

It worked BETTER and easier than the Respironics Premium Chin Strap I have been trying with my P10 Nasal Pillows.

* It is easy to put on, and I could easily try several different ways to wrap it.
* It stayed in place not slipping around and needing fiddling with during my flopping around at night.
* My leak rate was lower over all and I experienced no mouth breathing events for the first time.
* It is comfortable, no bumps, hard spots or scratchiness.
* It is very inexpensive. I can buy ten Ace bandages for the price of the typical Chin Strap. (Or five cheap chin straps)

The Bad:

* It's warm. I am not sure if this will be a problem for me or not yet. It isn't hot, but it was warm enough to notice when I woke this morning. I am using the entire length of the Ace bandage, and I am still considering cutting it in half since it goes around twice - but that also might be why it works so well.
* I lost one of the little clip things the first morning taking it off in the dark.

I can say, if you are struggling with mouth breathing, this worked for me.

RE: no chin strap till monday - Crimson Nape - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 04:55 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I lost one of the little clip things the first morning taking it off in the dark.

I thought the newer ace bandages used velcro instead of the clips. . . Silly Me!

Really, I'm glad to hear it worked for you.

RE: no chin strap till monday - FrankNichols - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 07:07 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote:
(04-29-2016, 04:55 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I lost one of the little clip things the first morning taking it off in the dark.

I thought the newer ace bandages used velcro instead of the clips. . . Silly Me!

Really, I'm glad to hear it worked for you.

Seems like I got one with velcro a while back, this was an Ace brand 4 inch bandage from Wally World - maybe Walmart still has a warehouse full of the old ones they are trying to unload Smile