Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
How do you avoid mouth leaks? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: How do you avoid mouth leaks? (/Thread-How-do-you-avoid-mouth-leaks)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

How do you avoid mouth leaks? - zonk - 07-01-2012

In the beginning of my therapy started with full face mask as thought I was a mouth breather but after tried Activa LT nasal mask and chinstrap could go all night without mouth breathing.
If you answer - say something - anything
Thanks

RE: How do you avoid mouth leaks? - cqfd93 - 07-01-2012

Using a nasal mask, and I have no problems keeping my mouth shut.

RE: How do you avoid mouth leaks? - SuperSleeper - 07-01-2012

Nasal pillows here... no problem keeping my mouth shut... except on the forums, where I keep it wide open most of the time. Bigwink Too-funny

RE: How do you avoid mouth leaks? - big_dave - 07-01-2012

Going into my sleep study, I was convinced that I would need a full face mask since I have a history of chronic nasal congestion and mouth-breathing. The doctor insisted that I try a nasal mask first, believing that I would switch to nasal breathing once I started CPAP. I was very skeptical, but he turned out to be right. I have a chin strap but I haven't needed it.

RE: How do you avoid mouth leaks? - mjbearit - 07-01-2012

I just keep my mouth shut and no problems. When I first pulled my machine out of the bottom of the closet and started using it again I was having an issue, but I used a "home made" chinstrap kinda thing for just a couple nights and it fixed the problem. There has been the odd occasion that I have not kept my mouth shut, but that is pretty rare.

RE: How do you avoid mouth leaks? - Sleepster - 07-01-2012

I wear a chin strap. Without it I mouth-leak. I don't need to wear it all the time, it's more like a training device used to teach my mouth that it needs to stay shut.

RE: How do you avoid mouth leaks? - JJJ - 07-01-2012

(07-01-2012, 10:09 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I wear a chin strap. Without it I mouth-leak. I don't need to wear it all the time, it's more like a training device used to teach my mouth that it needs to stay shut.

I know some people who could use this ... while awake. Dielaughing

RE: How do you avoid mouth leaks? - PollCat - 07-01-2012

Chin strap built into mask headgear.

RE: How do you avoid mouth leaks? - Suzjohnson - 07-01-2012

I posted that I use tape, and I do but I also need to use a chinstrap with my nasal pillow mask. Makes it less than simple getting ready for bed. That's probably why I almost prefer to use my full face mask and trade one for the other occasionally.

Suz

RE: How do you avoid mouth leaks? - trish6hundred - 07-01-2012

Hi zonk, I use a chinstrap. I tried for months to "train" my mouth to stay shut, but that didn't work, oh well, win some, lose some, I guess, (Ha-Ha-ha,) My wiseguy husband sam said "by keeping your lips closed," (Ha-Ha,) my comeback to him was, what do you expect from a non-hosehead, (Ha-Ha-Ha?)