Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
When do you know you have gotten used to therapy? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: When do you know you have gotten used to therapy? (/Thread-When-do-you-know-you-have-gotten-used-to-therapy)

When do you know you have gotten used to therapy? - Rcgop - 05-17-2016

I have been on therapy for 2 months, and every night has been different and better. Four nights ago I had my first good night sleep. Fours of sleep and 4 hours comfortable restful semi sleep. The next 2 days were very similar. AHI = .7.

Last night AHI=2.5 and sleep was still good.

Back to the question, Does it eventually settle down to a consistency between sleep, AHI's, and nighttime surprises?

RE: When do you know you have gotten used to therapy? - 0rangebear - 05-17-2016

(05-17-2016, 06:30 PM)Rcgop Wrote: I have been on therapy for 2 months, and every night has been different and better. Four nights ago I had my first good night sleep. Fours of sleep and 4 hours comfortable restful semi sleep. The next 2 days were very similar. AHI = .7.

Last night AHI=2.5 and sleep was still good.

Back to the question, Does it eventually settle down to a consistency between sleep, AHI's, and nighttime surprises?

I does get easer and better as time passes
My experience was similar, although most say it is different for everyone. My first good night was around 8 weeks (2 months)
It has continued to improved. I occasionally get a blip in my AHI and I try to assign cause.

I would expect yours to continue to get better in the next few months. Hopefully you'll get to 5 hours of good sleep soon. Then 6 and eventually 7
Dancing

RE: When do you know you have gotten used to therapy? - justMongo - 05-17-2016

(05-17-2016, 06:30 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Does it eventually settle down to a consistency between sleep, AHI's, and nighttime surprises?

It does for the majority of people. After 6.5 years, I put the mask on and I'm like Pavlov's dog; I hook up the hose, press "start" and am asleep in minutes. Sleep-well

RE: When do you know you have gotten used to therapy? - HGMonaro - 05-17-2016

I try to count to 10... sometimes I make it Sad Actually it's not that far off that but I've always been like that.

As for AHIs, I find mine yoyo's from under 1 to just below 2. After 3 months of this, I'm at the stage where I don't check the data daily Smile

RE: When do you know you have gotten used to therapy? - OpalRose - 05-17-2016

When you actually look forward to going to bed. Dreaming

When you wouldn't even think of pulling your mask off in the middle of the night.

When you wake up and can't tell if your machine is on, because you can't hear it.

When you wake up and touch your face to see if your mask is still on, because you don't feel it.

When you start to look for a second or backup machine just to have in case something happens to your Cpap, and you can't imagine being without it.

When you stop obsessing over the fact that your AHI reading will be different every night.
Sleep-well

RE: When do you know you have gotten used to therapy? - jtprop - 05-18-2016

likelike

RE: When do you know you have gotten used to therapy? - cate1898 - 05-18-2016

Welcome to the forum Rcgop! Sounds like you are on the right track!

RE: When do you know you have gotten used to therapy? - Sleepster - 05-18-2016

(05-17-2016, 06:30 PM)Rcgop Wrote: Does it eventually settle down to a consistency between sleep, AHI's, and nighttime surprises?

For me it's a process, not an event. My AHI varies, rarely going above 2, never above 3. Sometimes it's less than 1, sometimes almost zero. Some nights I sleep well, others I don't. Sometimes I never get out of bed at all night, other nights I'll get up three or four times.

There's a definite trend, though. The number of nights that are good is much much higher than it used to be, and the number of nights that are bad is much much lower than it used to be.

If I had to draw a line in the sand, I'd say it's the first time I woke up and had to feel the air jetting out of the mask ports to determine that the machine was on. At that point I knew I was going to make it. This was after decades of untreated sleep apnea followed by weeks of torture adapting to CPAP therapy. Life is so much better now. I don't know how I survided before CPAP therapy. Looking back, it was an awful time.

RE: When do you know you have gotten used to therapy? - Rcgop - 05-18-2016

This helps a bunch. I think I made it 3 nights ago.

Thank to every one.