Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Air pressure making noise - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Air pressure making noise (/Thread-Equipment-Air-pressure-making-noise)

Air pressure making noise - genieangel - 05-17-2016

I'm using a nasal mask, the Mirage FX. Most time it's OK, but sometimes I am hearing the air coming out of my mask from the pressure. It's not a leak, it's just the normal air expelling because I push the mask against my face and it's still making that noise. On occasion I've checked the pressure and it was 9.

Any ideas? It's waking me up all night.

RE: Air pressure making noise - justMongo - 05-17-2016

It's probably just the vent holes. Nothing you can do about it as they are required to flush expelled air from the mask.
Perhaps your hearing is more sensitive than other people.

RE: Air pressure making noise - Crimson Nape - 05-17-2016

Being periodic could mean that you're experiencing excessive humidity.

RE: Air pressure making noise - robysue - 05-17-2016

You may be hearing the exhaust venting hitting against your bedcovers or pillow. I occasionally have to nudge my hubby to get him to move ever so slightly so that his exhaust flow doesn't hit the covers.

RE: Air pressure making noise - cate1898 - 05-18-2016

Perhaps trying a different mask?

RE: Air pressure making noise - sdb7802 - 05-18-2016

The P10 nasal pillows has a diffuser type vent that is very quiet even if the venting air hits something.

RE: Air pressure making noise - green wings - 05-18-2016

Hi genie.

Good suggestions above, like making sure that the vent from your masking isn't hitting anything like the bed linens. That will cause more noise.

I use straight CPAP, but I have done a couple of auto PAP trials on my machine, and I did notice the difference sometimes when the machine ramped up pressure.

I have used two different masks, both nasal, since I started CPAP therapy this past winter, and the vent from the first one (Respironics Pico) was definitely louder than the Wisp mask that I use now.

If the sound continues to bother you, you may want to try another mask. Or you may get used to the sound.

I don't know where to link to it, but somewhere in the Wiki for this board, there's a graph of how air flow rate increases with treatment pressure.

That's why I said you may be noticing the increased air flow when your machine ramps up the pressure.

It's always difficult to tell from someone's description just how "much" something is, so I'm guessing that you're hearing more noise when the air flow from your machine increases.

RE: Air pressure making noise - eseedhouse - 05-18-2016

There's always noise cancelling headphones. Don't laugh, I have an oxygen concentrater hooked into the system and the one I have is quite noisy. Like unable to sleep noisy and it's 20 feet away in another room. So I sleep each night with BOSE QC25 noise cancelling headphones on my head and with my full face mask I look like I'm piloting a jet plane or a space rocket. Well, OK laugh if you want to...

It's effective, but expensive since they cost more than 300 bucks, but I bought them for other reasons and they were a solution to hand.