Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New Machine - Out of Control Events! HELP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New Machine - Out of Control Events! HELP (/Thread-New-Machine-Out-of-Control-Events-HELP)

New Machine - Out of Control Events! HELP - blehmier - 06-06-2016

I just had a sleep study and was switched over to the ResMed AirCurve 10 Auto BiPap with heated hose. My events are way out of control though. I am exhausted and irritable during the day and can't go on much more like this. Anyone else had this happen to them? Is there software I can use for further insight? I was going to swap my machine out for a Dream Machine, but that doesn't sould like a good idea after what I read here..

It won't let me add my attachments because of size but here are my events/days:

May 31 - 36.6
June 1 - 59.5
June 2 - 48.2
June 3 - 65.1
June 4 - 38.2

They only thing I can think of is the fact I had cancer in my lung and the removed part of my lung in January and every since it hurts to breathe deep. I am also on pain medications, but have been since January. I suffer from Intercostal Neuralgia Pain.

I need help figuring this out...

RE: New Machine - Out of Control Events! HELP - OpalRose - 06-06-2016

blehmier,
I don't use a bipap, but there are folk here that can help you.
You will have to provide them with some more information though.
Yes, your AHI is high....it is probably a matter of the pressure not set correctly.

To start, what is the breakdown of your AHI, like hypopneas, Obstructives, clear Airways?

Do your know what the pressure is set to? What is the minimum, maximum and pressure support?
Are you using EPR?

Download the free SleepyHead software, and take a look at your data, and let us know.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

RE: New Machine - Out of Control Events! HELP - DeepBreathing - 06-06-2016

Hi blehmier, welcome to Apnea Board.

Do you have a copy of your sleep study report? If not, ask your doctor for a copy (full report, not just the summary). The report should give a full breakdown of the type of events you were experiencing prior to treatment - it should include obstructive apneas, central apneas, hypopneas and possibly other parameters. If you had a titration test, the report should give details of the treatment regimes that were tried and what the results were. This information will establish a baseline from which we can help advise improvements.

Next thing to do is get hold of SleepyHead software, at the link OpalRose gave. That will allow you to interrogate your results in great detail. As a new member you are limited in the size of files you can attach (unfortunately necessary to minimise spam) but you should be able to get the main summary section of SleepyHead under 200kb, and that will give us a lot of information about how the treatment is working. (It should look something like my attachment).

[attachment=2521]

By the way, ResMed don't call their machines BiPap - that's a proprietary name for Philips Respironics bilevel machines.

Good luck with your therapy - I'm sure we can help you get things under control.

RE: New Machine - Out of Control Events! HELP - justMongo - 06-06-2016

Although unwise to speculate without data; I'll hazard a guess that pain meds are causing central apnea. The data will tell.

RE: New Machine - Out of Control Events! HELP - PoolQ - 06-06-2016

I switched to the AirCurve also, and was at the end of my rope. Doing much better now, only got up once last night and started out at getting up every 30-60 minutes. We need data. read all the info about posting sleephead data and what we need to see. You have a great machine and there are many adjustments that can help you get the sleep you need. The machine is "auto" but comfort settings cannot be done auto, you have to adjust them- I have adjusted every setting on my machine and will be glad to help you get yours in order (with the help of some very knowledgeable people around here).

Right now you are being limited until you have 8 posts, this is to block spammers. you can still get us the data we need with imgur and some creative links http://www.imgr dot com and the like.

Your machine already has all the data on it that you need.

Oh and been there, done that exactly the same results you are having. Different reasons, but ended up at the same place.

RE: New Machine - Out of Control Events! HELP - trish6hundred - 06-06-2016

Hi blehmier,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You have come to the right place for help.
I wish you much success as you continue your CPAP therapy and getting your machine set up to better meet your needs.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: New Machine - Out of Control Events! HELP - Sleeprider - 06-06-2016

Blehmeir, it's possible that you have complex apnea with central apnea events. If so, the simple bilevel can't help, but there is a machine that can. You need to know what kind of apnea events you are having.

There are a few choices to get the data. Sleepyhead software is best. See the link at the top of this page, and load it on your computer. It will read the data on your machine's SD card. Or, look at the sleep results data on your machine's screen. Your machine may be setup for "Essentials" reporting. If so, we will need to go into the settings to change that to Plus. Let us know what you see.