Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Newbie Question; Cleaning - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Newbie Question; Cleaning (/Thread-Newbie-Question-Cleaning)

Newbie Question; Cleaning - jonesbc19 - 06-07-2016

First time user of a xPAP and have a question about cleaning my machine, hoses, mask, etc.. The person at the equipment company indicated once a week I could simply place everything (well not the machine) in warm soapy water, rinse, and air dry. All of that seems easy enough, but what do I use to clean the actual machine or humidifier? Any assistance is appreciated...

RE: Newbie Question; Cleaning - DariaVader - 06-07-2016

the humidifier tank goes in the wash tub with the other stuff. no need to do anything more than replace filters and dust the outside of the rest - unless you have some situation like another poster did with roaches (shudder)

RE: Newbie Question; Cleaning - robertbuckley - 06-07-2016

good old unscented soap and water. MY humidifier water tank can go in the dish washer, but never really needed to.

RE: Newbie Question; Cleaning - Crimson Nape - 06-07-2016

Don't use water temperatures that are hotter than you can submerge your hands in. Some of the plastics employed are low temp plastics. Use a damp cloth to remove any dust from the exterior.

RE: Newbie Question; Cleaning - OpalRose - 06-07-2016

Cleaning and maintenance is fairly easy.
As far as machine, dust off weekly and change filters at least once a month.
It is recommended that you use distilled water in the humidifier chamber.

RE: Newbie Question; Cleaning - trish6hundred - 06-07-2016

Hi jonesbc19,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I soak my hose, mask and humidifier tank in warm, mild, soapy, )Ivory Liquid,) water once a week. I just wipe the machine down with a damp cloth when I think it needs it.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: Newbie Question; Cleaning - cate1898 - 06-08-2016

Welcome to Apnea Board, jonesbc19!

You will find opinions on what is best with regards to cleaning your equipment varying from member to member. Your manufacturer will state their views.

For me I spent the first 8 months being a little OCD and washing the hose, water tank and mask DAILY. Yes, 8 months! At some point in the 8th month I thought about the fact that the hose if blowing air out, not taking it in. So I dropped my acceptable washings of the 8 ft hose to once a week and now my daily tank and mask washing is a breeze. I use Johnson's baby shampoo and rinse twice a week in diluted vinegar water. Works well for me.

RE: Newbie Question; Cleaning - RedCoPete - 06-08-2016

I'll clean my silicone nasal pillow set daily, and when I've used my old mask, I'll wash it after use, too. My skin oils will attack the silicone, and my first mask failed in a few months before I learned this. I just use liquid hand soap (Softsoap) and tap water. The pillow set goes back on the frame when it's dry.

RE: Newbie Question; Cleaning - jonesbc19 - 06-08-2016

Thanks for all the replies! Being new to all of this I just want to make sure that I am doing everything I can to make my CPAP therapy a success.

RE: Newbie Question; Cleaning - rem52 - 06-08-2016

I take off the hose and water tank to dry each day and then throw a shower cap w elastic band over the machine to keep out the dust.
My hose and tank are dry by the time I am ready to use them.
Then cleaning hose, mask and tank with Dawn and warm water once a week and wipe off the machine and look at the filter.