Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
side sleeper huge leaks - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: side sleeper huge leaks (/Thread-side-sleeper-huge-leaks)

Pages: 1 2

side sleeper huge leaks - videoman - 06-07-2016

I have used p10 nasal pillow,wisp,mirage fx,eson , swift fx pillow and nano, I have huge large leaks I sleep on my side.
I have tried tapping my mouth shut, this keeps the huge leaks below the 24 bar that resmed says is sort of ok. Because of the results of tapping my mouth shut does this tell me that I am a mouth breather and I need to look into a full face mask.

RE: side sleeper huge leaks - richb - 06-07-2016

Hi videoman,

Welcome to the Forum. I'd say you are on to something there. A great many of us are trying all kinds of options to minimise or eliminate leaks. See if your DME supplier can loan you a FFM to try. It just might solve your problem.

Rich

RE: side sleeper huge leaks - PoolQ - 06-07-2016

ummm, yes. This is why I wear one. If the leaks are caused by breaking the silicon seal around the edge of any mask, this is one thing and can be addressed by several methods

If on the other hand you are not wearing a FFM and the "leak" is your mouth, then you are defined as a mouth breather (as am I). People have tried many solutions to mouth breathing, including changing to a FFM, tape, chin straps, denture cream.......

RE: side sleeper huge leaks - trish6hundred - 06-07-2016

Hi videoman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and good luck finding a mask that works for you.

RE: side sleeper huge leaks - kwhenrykerr - 06-09-2016

I have moved to FFM and it has helped a lot. Sleep-well

RE: side sleeper huge leaks - florian1993 - 06-09-2016

The mask should move during your alteration of position. By changing to a thinner pillow, you may're reducing leakage.
Good luck to you

RE: side sleeper huge leaks - videoman - 06-09-2016

which ffm did you try

RE: side sleeper huge leaks - PoolQ - 06-09-2016

He has the mask listed in his profile, same mask that I use. Amara View. Like most it takes some practice getting it adjusted correctly, but once you do I love it

RE: side sleeper huge leaks - Crimson Nape - 06-09-2016

I found that my pillow selection was more important that mask style in my side sleeping position. I tried several pillows designed for CPAP usage. I settled on a buckwheat/foam one named Form-Fit. Now I bounce between a FFM and a nasal pillow mask without any problems. I'm sure that every member here will have their favorite pillow so don't take my review as the golden charm. My point is; If you like your current mask, then look at other ways to support its use.

Good luck in your quest.

RE: side sleeper huge leaks - IDRIck - 06-09-2016

I personally don't breath well through my nose so have only tried FFM. I originally had some issues with mask leakage while sidesleeping. This problem has been resolved by purchasing a padacheek anti-leak strap. This strap puts uniform downward pressure along the entire cushion which mostly eliminated leaks without causing a red spot on the nose. I don't know if it works with nasal masks... My wife gives the CPAP two thumbs up for stopping my snoring and the anti-leak strap thumbs up for eliminating mask leaks.