Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph (/Thread-Help-Interpreting-Flow-Rate-Graph)

Pages: 1 2

Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph - nadprok - 06-15-2016

Can someone out there please explain what this strange breathing pattern is in my flow rate graph. it happened 2 or 3 times last night for short periods. I have only seen this once before. I have been on bipap for about 14 months and rarely have any OA's or H's. I mainly have centrals, however I had no centrals in my sleep study. My centrals are normally short ( in the 10 to 20 range ). I am quite pleased with my AHI which is an average of 2.45 for the last 12 months.
I am attaching the flow rate graph.[attachment=2545]

RE: Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph - justMongo - 06-15-2016

It looks like you are taking a series of shallow breaths without significant exhale.
It's a bit hard to tell given the vertical axis scale. (You can rescale the axis)

I don't think it's significant. I cannot give you a reason why is occurs.

RE: Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph - PoolQ - 06-15-2016

this seems like one of those "very technical" evaluations and some here are indeed very technical and should chime in. kind of an obvious pattern though, but that does not mean it is or is not a problem, just easy to see the pattern. Sleep can be strange.

RE: Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph - green wings - 06-15-2016

Hi, nadprok.

It may be (not 100% certain) what people on this forum usually refer to as "lip-leaking" or "mouth-leaking" on exhale.

Take a look at the next to last graph called "expiratory mouth breathing" here in the Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead and see if you think there's a similarity.

P.S. If you put your cursor over the Y-axis on your breathing flow rate graph in SleepyHead and right-click, an option will appear to draw a dotted red line at the zero point. It makes evaluating the flow rate graph easier.

RE: Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph - justMongo - 06-15-2016

It does indeed look like the image in the BGtSH. However, the OP is wearing a FFM. So, lip leaks should get included in the flow pattern.

RE: Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph - green wings - 06-15-2016

Ah, rats. I told myself to check what sort of mask they used while I was writing that, but I forgot.

(06-15-2016, 01:32 PM)justMongo Wrote: However, the OP is wearing a FFM. So, lip leaks should get included in the flow pattern.

RE: Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph - Sleeprider - 06-15-2016

Nadprok, it would help if you added a zero dashed line to your graph. That can be done by right-clicking on the left Y axis and selecting Dotted Lines / Zero.

My best guess is that during this period you inhaled through a nasal device and exhaled through your mouth. No problem with that as long as your overall leaks are under control. No leak data was shown on the graph. Are you certain you were asleep at the time?

RE: Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph - nadprok - 06-15-2016

Thanks Sleeprider.
Yes I was asleep during that period and there were no leaks. I don't normally have a problem with leaks once I get done with MaskFit. I don't use a nasal mask. I use the AmaraView Minimal mask.
I have added the dotted line to my graph now so I am attaching the new graph.[attachment=2546]

RE: Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph - PaytonA - 06-15-2016

It just looks to me like you paused after each exhale for a little while. It does not look to me like a reason for concern as long as it does not happen for longer or with great regularity.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Help Interpreting Flow Rate Graph - nadprok - 06-15-2016

Thanks PaytonA for your comment. I was somewhat concerned because it was an unusual pattern that happened twice that night for about a minute each time. I am less concerned now after your comment.

Thanks.