Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New Bipap User...Can't Sleep! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New Bipap User...Can't Sleep! (/Thread-New-Bipap-User-Can-t-Sleep)

New Bipap User...Can't Sleep! - tb8100 - 06-23-2016

Hey, all! Brand new Bipap user (Resmed AirCurve). Doc recommended a low 5-10 setting, so I'm trying that. I may tweak it later (I have the clinician menu settings). My events were 35-40 per hour, so that's pretty bad, I hear. My greatest struggle is getting comfortable with the machine.... I get claustrophobic! :/

I am a mouth breather, so I tried the full face mask. Exhaling and having hot air hit my face just makes me uneasy. Also, I never felt like I got enough air. I turned up the pressure a bit and it didn't seem to help. I took sleep aids and still ripped the mask off in my sleep.

I switched to nasal pillows. Those are far less intrusive, but after wearing them for 5-10 minutes, my nose starts to stop up, rendering the machine useless.

Thanks in advance!

RE: New Bipap User...Can't Sleep! - Crimson Nape - 06-23-2016

Hi tb8100,

Welcome
A starting pressure as low as you have it will make you feel like you're suffocating. Most people find a starting pressure of 7 to 8 will remedy this feeling.

Good luck with your therapy.

RE: New Bipap User...Can't Sleep! - green wings - 06-23-2016

Hello, tb8100. Welcome to Apnea Board.

It sounds like you're having major comfort issues with using your xPAP machine.

I am not clear about which machine you have, but anyway, I just wanted to comment about your nasal congestion problem. It happens a lot with new xPAP users. I've listed some things below that can help.

- humidification. Are you using it? If yes, what setting?

- You may need to try a saline nasal rinse and/or a steroid nasal spray while you're adjusting to breathing with the nasal pillows & CPAP machine. Taking a shower right before bed can also help.

(06-23-2016, 08:05 PM)tb8100 Wrote: Hey, all! Brand new Bipap user (Resmed AirCurve). Doc recommended a low 5-10 setting, so I'm trying that. I may tweak it later (I have the clinician menu settings). My events were 35-40 per hour, so that's pretty bad, I hear. My greatest struggle is getting comfortable with the machine.... I get claustrophobic! :/

I am a mouth breather, so I tried the full face mask. Exhaling and having hot air hit my face just makes me uneasy. Also, I never felt like I got enough air. I turned up the pressure a bit and it didn't seem to help. I took sleep aids and still ripped the mask off in my sleep.

I switched to nasal pillows. Those are far less intrusive, but after wearing them for 5-10 minutes, my nose starts to stop up, rendering the machine useless.

Thanks in advance!

RE: New Bipap User...Can't Sleep! - trish6hundred - 06-23-2016

Hi tb8100,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your new machine and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions.

RE: New Bipap User...Can't Sleep! - PoolQ - 06-23-2016

Feeling like you're not getting enough air is usually because your starting pressure is too low. Are you using ramp? If so what is your starting pressure set to?
Or your 5 could be low, anything below 6 for me is not enough. test it out with the mask on and lay down for a few minutes and see how you feel, when you get too high, then drop it back down. If you start feel okay then stop increasing it.

RE: New Bipap User...Can't Sleep! - brianwood619 - 06-26-2016

Hot air in the face sounds like you need to turn the temperature down on the hose. You have a S9 series machine with H5i humidifier like me, I run the hose temp at 75 degrees and the humidity at 5.0, that should solve the hot air problem. I would suggest turning EPAP pressure up to at least 9. That way your not getting the air hunger feeling. Just a suggestion, but I think you definitely need to adjust temp and humidity