Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
How am I sleeping? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: How am I sleeping? (/Thread-How-am-I-sleeping)

Pages: 1 2

How am I sleeping? - thelister - 07-02-2016

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could help me out! Recently, I participated in a sleep study as per my doc's recommendations; unfortunately, I was quite anxious and my heart was thumping all night so I didn't really get much sleep (1 hr max). There has not been a diagnosis, and I may need t come back.

As such, I read through the forums, and purchased a CMS50D+ to measure my sleep. I have first night's sleep data and it looks decent. I was curious if you guys can share your opinions?

Thanks!

RE: How am I sleeping? - Crimson Nape - 07-02-2016

Hi thelister.

Welcome

Your numbers look very good, if not great. Keep us updated on your therapy.

RE: How am I sleeping? - thelister - 07-02-2016

Thank you Crimson! I had a quick follow-up question for you - do you know why my oxygen tends to dip in the beginning, more-so than later at night?

(07-02-2016, 09:00 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi thelister.

Welcome

Your numbers look very good, if not great. Keep us updated on your therapy.

RE: How am I sleeping? - Crimson Nape - 07-02-2016

The little downward spikes are commonly referred to as Outliers or Artifacts. They can be caused from hitting the sensor or sudden movement, such as rolling over. Most of these probes record a point about every 6 seconds, so it's nothing to worry about.

-Red

RE: How am I sleeping? - green wings - 07-02-2016

Hello, thelister. Welcome to the Apnea Board.

Your O2 values look pretty good to me. I don't feel like I can say one way or the other from your O2 values whether or not you have sleep apnea.

If someone has severe obstructive sleep apnea, their O2 levels will often drop below normal over and over during sleep. Whether or not that happens depends on how long the apnea events are and how closely together they are spaced, though. I have seen 92% given as the lowest "normal" value for O2 levels during sleep. I'm not sure how definitive that is. I see that there's a red line drawn at 88% in the program that you're using.

It's possible to have obstructive apnea without O2 desaturations. Other conditions that you could have are central sleep apnea or UARS (upper airway resistance syndrome), which is an obstructive condition, a sort of "pre-apnea" that causes events that are called RERAs (respiratory effort-related arousals).

It sounds like you will have to wait for the results of your sleep study or maybe do another one to get definitive information about whether or not you do have sleep apnea.

RE: How am I sleeping? - thelister - 07-02-2016

(07-02-2016, 10:50 AM)green wings Wrote: Hello, thelister. Welcome to the Apnea Board.

Your O2 values look pretty good to me. I don't feel like I can say one way or the other from your O2 values whether or not you have sleep apnea.

If someone has severe obstructive sleep apnea, their O2 levels will often drop below normal over and over during sleep. Whether or not that happens depends on how long the apnea events are and how closely together they are spaced, though. I have seen 92% given as the lowest "normal" value for O2 levels during sleep. I'm not sure how definitive that is. I see that there's a red line drawn at 88% in the program that you're using.

It's possible to have obstructive apnea without O2 desaturations. Other conditions that you could have are central sleep apnea or UARS (upper airway resistance syndrome), which is an obstructive condition, a sort of "pre-apnea" that causes events that are called RERAs (respiratory effort-related arousals).

It sounds like you will have to wait for the results of your sleep study or maybe do another one to get definitive information about whether or not you do have sleep apnea.

Hi Green Wings,

Much appreciated for your reply - learned a lot. A few quick follow-up questions:

1. Assuming the sleep lab comes back and tells me, based on my very little sleep, that I do not have sleep apnea - do you think worthwhile to do a lab again?

2. I believe my lowest saturation levels is 91% at only a couple of areas - Would you agree with Crimson as it being an outlier? I will continue to monitor my sleep, and post if there are any changes from the general trend.

Thanks!

RE: How am I sleeping? - trish6hundred - 07-02-2016

Hi thelister,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you.

RE: How am I sleeping? - thelister - 07-03-2016

Thanks Smile

RE: How am I sleeping? - chill - 07-04-2016

(07-02-2016, 06:43 PM)thelister Wrote: 1. Assuming the sleep lab comes back and tells me, based on my very little sleep, that I do not have sleep apnea - do you think worthwhile to do a lab again?

Given that you doctor recommended it, hell yes! Or get a week long home study as you may sleep more normally.

RE: How am I sleeping? - thelister - 08-01-2016

So the results finally came back - I do not have sleep apnea according to the Sleep Doc, but again, it's based on limited data.

I presume I should reschedule another one?