Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Where do you wear your chinstrap - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Where do you wear your chinstrap (/Thread-Where-do-you-wear-your-chinstrap)

Where do you wear your chinstrap - zonk - 07-12-2012

Chinstraps are an optional accessory to most masks. They wrap around the top of your head and underneath your chin to prevent your mouth from opening at night. Chinstraps may be used with a variety of nasal masks if a full-face mask (a mask that covers both the nose and mouth) is not being used.
......................................................................................................
I have always worn it over the mask.
It also help to keep the mask in place

RE: Where do you wear your chinstrap - PaulaO2 - 07-12-2012

The few weeks I used one, oh so long ago, I used it under the headgear. I found it harder to adjust if the strap was over it. But then, I was also failing miserably with the nasal masks.

RE: Where do you wear your chinstrap - trish6hundred - 07-12-2012

I wear my chinstrap under the headgear. I haven't tried it the other way; I thought about trying it but I just figure if something ain't broke, why fix it, (Ha-Ha-Ha?)

RE: Where do you wear your chinstrap - cbramsey - 07-12-2012

I do not use a chinstrap. Never have. Just lucky I guess. Sleep-well

RE: Where do you wear your chinstrap - PaulaO2 - 07-12-2012

I thought I had to. Then, on mask 3 or 4, I said I hated it. He said it was for folks who breathe through their mouth at night. I didn't so I chucked it.

RE: Where do you wear your chinstrap - Cutter - 07-12-2012

I tried a couple of different ones and hated them. I just accept that when I breathe through my mouth that I will have a high leak rate.

RE: Where do you wear your chinstrap - mjbearit - 07-13-2012

I prefer to just keep my mouth shut at night! Smile

RE: Where do you wear your chinstrap - BabyDoc - 07-13-2012

I use a chin strap primarily to secure in place the headgear straps for my nasal pillows, the Swift FX. Without the chin strap, the headgear straps move and the pillows leak when I roll over onto my other side. The chin strap goes over the headgear, of course. Using the chin strap this way allows me to keep the headgear straps loose enough to reduce pressure on my nose without adding to the leaks. I seldom breath through my mouth.

RE: Where do you wear your chinstrap - mjbearit - 07-13-2012

(07-13-2012, 08:26 AM)BabyDoc Wrote: I use a chin strap primarily to secure in place the headgear straps for my nasal pillows, the Swift FX. Without the chin strap, the headgear straps move and the pillows leak when I roll over onto my other side. The chin strap goes over the headgear, of course. Using the chin strap this way allows me to keep the headgear straps loose enough to reduce pressure on my nose without adding to the leaks. I seldom breath through my mouth.

I do agree with you about the straps moving! Total pain in the posterior!

RE: Where do you wear your chinstrap - PollCat - 07-13-2012

I had to give up on the chin strap because it kept pulling the hairs out of my mustache and beard. It's the reason I found a mask with a built-in chin strap - even if Respironics doesn't consider it so.