Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
What do you do for noise reduction from your CPAP? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: What do you do for noise reduction from your CPAP? (/Thread-What-do-you-do-for-noise-reduction-from-your-CPAP)

Pages: 1 2

What do you do for noise reduction from your CPAP? - Ockrocket - 07-09-2016

The whir from the fan on my Philips DreamStation is annoying my wife... so I'm attempting to muffle the noise a bit.

My idea may be seen to be a little unorthodox at the moment, but I will deal with it on a more permanent basis once I decide what machine I will actually purchase after my trial period.

RE: What do you do for noise reduction from your CPAP? - DeepBreathing - 07-09-2016

I have my machine in the top drawer of my bedside table. That muffles most of the very little noise the machine makes. Other people have found that putting a pad (rubber or a folded towel) under the machine will attenuate any vibrations.

In my experience the mask can be noisier than the machine itself, either from the vent (diffuser) or when it leaks and causes "face farts".

RE: What do you do for noise reduction from your CPAP? - Ockrocket - 07-09-2016

I'm trying to upload pics here, but not having success yet.

I will investigate more tomorrow to see what I'm doing wrong.

Failing that then I will upload to photobucket and download here.

RE: What do you do for noise reduction from your CPAP? - justMongo - 07-09-2016

As attachments, you are limited to 512 KBytes.

RE: What do you do for noise reduction from your CPAP? - stephennic - 07-09-2016

(07-09-2016, 07:19 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: I'm trying to upload pics here, but not having success yet.

Hi,
I am in the same boat, testing a few CPAP machine out before purchasing one. I have just bought a small fan to run beside the dreamstation machine - white noise which I am currently trying to mask any CPAP machine noise. I also just bought a rubber mat to put it on the floor with a couple foam offcuts to put underneath and around the side of it - trying that tonight.
I compared a few machines for noise the airsense 10 was the quietest however I found it harder to breath on even at the various expire relief settings. The Fisher and paykal Icon was the noisiest even at ramp settings. I am briefly going to try the weinmann prism also. I let you know how I go.
Cheers
Steve.
All the best I let yu know how I go

RE: What do you do for noise reduction from your CPAP? - Mosquitobait - 07-09-2016

The 560 series is SILENT. I should think that if your Dreamstation, which is the newer model, is making noise, that there is something wrong with it.

That said, when you do have some sort of medical machine running, the best success seems to be running some kind of white noise. After a couple of nights, you are so used to it that you no longer hear the annoying noise. This could be a fan, one of those little waterfall thingies or, in my case, an older Itouch with an app specifically for restful background sounds (ocean waves is my favorite, but I like cicadas as well).

RE: What do you do for noise reduction from your CPAP? - PoolQ - 07-09-2016

I have found all this interesting as a study in what bothers me and why. I used to not be able to sleep during the day without a blackout mask on, hard to do with a mask on. We got an air filter that has a fan and it does make "some" noise. We have an overhead fan that again is not 100% quiet.

The difference I think is that CPAP is used by one person and directly benefits one person.

To my surprise I can now sleep just fine during the day without a blackout mask. I used to listen to every single breathe when starting CPAP and now it does not bother me. Putting a white noise source in the bedroom is just substituting a different kind of "noise", perhaps without a pattern to listen to.

I do put a cloth under the machine to keep the night stand from making it louder that needed. With the continued use of the machine, I no longer pay attention and wonder just what the heck it is doing and is this new noise okay. My wife wears ear plugs and always has, I personally have tried and found the total lack of noise to bother me immensely.

Do what you can to mitigate the new noises until you get used to whatever noises remain uncontrolled. Also learn to trust the machine as soon as you can

RE: What do you do for noise reduction from your CPAP? - SaldusMiegas - 07-09-2016

(07-09-2016, 07:19 AM)Ockrocket Wrote: I'm trying to upload pics here, but not having success yet.

Hi Ockrocket,

here is some info on how to post screenshots and other graphics in a way that does not run into quota issues.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Attaching_Images_and_Files_on_Apnea_Board

It uses a 3rd party website and might be viewable by other people. You can make your imgurl uploads non-public which means it won't show up in searches but can still be accessed by anyone who knows the obscure URL it generates.

A lot of people use this or similar approach to upload their screenshots. Essentially uploading the screen shot file to an outside web site and then including a link to it in a post on the forum. Maybe same as using photobucket, at least a confirmation that this sort of approach is a common practice here.

Saldus Miegas

RE: What do you do for noise reduction from your CPAP? - chill - 07-09-2016

I can only hear my DreamStation if if specifically listen for it in an otherwise mostly silent room. I think I noticed it for the first few days.

RE: What do you do for noise reduction from your CPAP? - stephennic - 07-09-2016

(07-09-2016, 07:50 AM)stephennic Wrote:

Hi,
I am in the same boat, testing a few CPAP machine out before purchasing one. I have just bought a small fan to run beside the dreamstation machine - white noise which I am currently trying to mask any CPAP machine noise. I also just bought a rubber mat to put it on the floor with a couple foam offcuts to put underneath and around the side of it - trying that tonight.
I compared a few machines for noise the airsense 10 was the quietest however I found it harder to breath on even at the various expire relief settings. The Fisher and paykal Icon was the noisiest even at ramp settings. I am briefly going to try the weinmann prism also. I let you know how I go.
Cheers
Steve.
All the best I let yu know how I go
Everyone will laugh at this, Smile the fan had a rattle so it kept me awake. Switched it off at 3pm and took it back today. Got another fan tried it in store first and it was quiet will give it another go tonight
Cheers
Steve