Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
With CPAP Therapy How Long Do You Sleep - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: With CPAP Therapy How Long Do You Sleep (/Thread-With-CPAP-Therapy-How-Long-Do-You-Sleep)

Pages: 1 2

With CPAP Therapy How Long Do You Sleep - TheLionSleeps - 07-17-2016

I was wondering how long is a good night's sleep for CPAP therapy users that have experienced CPAP for awhile? Do you usually sleep in intervals and feel rested or do you usually sleep straight through the night to get good rest. I am hoping this gets better since I sleep in intervals disturbed by leaks and just waking up for various reasons. I have been on this therapy about a month and haven't reached the improved morning wake up feeling or the daily improvement I was hoping for. I am determined not to give up and understand it should get better.
What is your experience with interval sleeping and being rested?
Thanks for this board as I listen to the advice on the threads from experienced users.
"In the Jungle the Lion Sleeps Tonight."

RE: With CPAP Therapy How Long Do You Sleep - stephennic - 07-17-2016

(07-17-2016, 08:20 AM)TheLionSleeps Wrote: I was wondering how long is a good night's sleep for CPAP therapy users that have experienced CPAP for awhile? Do you usually sleep in intervals and feel rested or do you usually sleep straight through the night to get good rest. I am hoping this gets better since I sleep in intervals disturbed by leaks and just waking up for various reasons. I have been on this therapy about a month and haven't reached the improved morning wake up feeling or the daily improvement I was hoping for. I am determined not to give up and understand it should get better.
What is your experience with interval sleeping and being rested?
Thanks for this board as I listen to the advice on the threads from experienced users.
"In the Jungle the Lion Sleeps Tonight."
Early days for me been trying CPAP for a few weeks. I will sleep a max 3-5 hours then wake up, then cant get back to sleep. So then take it off and sleep without it. Is that usual? I am not sure.
Cheers
Steve

RE: With CPAP Therapy How Long Do You Sleep - surferdude2 - 07-17-2016

When first starting cpap therapy, I slept in 1 1/2 hour spans, repeating over a 7 hour session and getting less then 5 hours actual sleep each night.

Now (2 years later), I rarely sleep longer than 3 hours uninterrupted. Then I manage to get back to sleep and make it another 2 ~ 2 1/2 hours to end the process. I can get by with 5 1/2 hours of sleep but would love to sleep like I did before this affliction struck me. My previous normal was around 7 hours and all in one nightly session.

It seems that 5 1/2 is my new 8 as far as actual sleep is concerned.

Dude

RE: With CPAP Therapy How Long Do You Sleep - MitchS - 07-17-2016

Before cpap I would sleep 4 or 5 hours and wake up several times to go to the bathroom. While I was getting used to cpcp I would sleep anywhere from 4 hours to 9 or 10 hours. However, like you, I would have to fight leaks and still had to get up to go to the restroom several times a night. I felt a lot better than I did pre cpap, however.

After 9 months of treatment I have my pressure where I need it and have leaks under control. I sleep 7 or 8 hours a night, usually without waking. When I have to get up to go to the bathroom it is because I actually need to and not because of a RERA. There has been a huge improvement in my sleep quality in comparison to pre cpap and the adjustment period.

For the nights I have trouble going to sleep (rarely) or I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep (occasionally) I take Melatonin. It helps me relax and get back to sleep without leaving me feeling drowsy the next morning. I have also found that placing dim nightlights strategically in the areas I use when I get up at night disturb me less than turning on room lights.

Everyone is different and it just takes time to adjust the treatment and get adjusted to the treatment. It happens for some people right away. For the majority though it takes time and a lot of effort. Cpap therapy is a journey. We all have good nights and we have bad nights. Eventually the good nights out number the bad nights.

Good luck with your treatment.

RE: With CPAP Therapy How Long Do You Sleep - chill - 07-17-2016

The choppy sleep is one reason that you don't feel rested. I am at that stage too (saying stage as I hope it goes away!). I have no idea how I slept before as I had no machine to record it. I am getting some longer periods, six hours last night!

RE: With CPAP Therapy How Long Do You Sleep - Rcgop - 07-17-2016

At first, I too only at most 1 hour at a time. Long time in between those hours too. Now after 4months I can get a 2 to 3 hour sleep initially and the rest of the night 1 hour sleeps. Time between I between is getting shorter.

At least 1 day of each week I can say "Best night ever".

Baby steps at best but still steps. I too am highly motivated an will continue as long as it gets at least some better each week.

Hang in there.

RE: With CPAP Therapy How Long Do You Sleep - 0rangebear - 07-17-2016

(07-17-2016, 10:01 AM)pupcamper Wrote: After 9 months of treatment I have my pressure where I need it and have leaks under control. I sleep 7 or 8 hours a night, usually without waking. When I have to get up to go to the bathroom it is because I actually need to and not because of a RERA. There has been a huge improvement in my sleep quality in comparison to pre cpap and the adjustment period.
Congrats pupcamper
you have done a great job implementing your positive airway pressure therapy. From what I read 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep is the ultimate goal. Thumbs-up-2

I had similar results pre cpap and during the adjustment period. I never slept more that 2 1/2 hours at a time.

Getting the leaks under control and finding the correct pressure settings (the sweet spot) are essential to success.

I also now sleep 7-8 hours; never waling up in less than 4 hrs and when I do; it is to go to that bathroom after drinking too much before bedtime. I saw the change in my sleep cycle on day118 of therapy. Too-happy-2

RE: With CPAP Therapy How Long Do You Sleep - MitchS - 07-17-2016

(07-17-2016, 03:39 PM)0rangebear Wrote: Congrats pupcamper
you have done a great job implementing your positive airway pressure therapy. From what I read 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep is the ultimate goal. Thumbs-up-2

I had similar results pre cpap and during the adjustment period. I never slept more that 2 1/2 hours at a time.

Getting the leaks under control and finding the correct pressure settings (the sweet spot) are essential to success.

I also now sleep 7-8 hours; never waling up in less than 4 hrs and when I do; it is to go to that bathroom after drinking too much before bedtime. I saw the change in my sleep cycle on day118 of therapy. Too-happy-2

Thanks Orangbear. I agree that leaks and pressure are the two most essential elements to success with cpap. I think we both had an easier time than a lot of users in adjusting to our treatment. I'm not sure what to attribute that to, but I do know that a lot of the credit goes to this forum and the members who have supported us from the start.

Best regards.

RE: With CPAP Therapy How Long Do You Sleep - 0rangebear - 07-17-2016

(07-17-2016, 04:53 PM)pupcamper Wrote:
(07-17-2016, 03:39 PM)0rangebear Wrote: Congrats pupcamper

Thanks Orangbear. I agree that leaks and pressure are the two most essential elements to success with cpap. I think we both had an easier time than a lot of users in adjusting to our treatment. I'm not sure what to attribute that to, but I do know that a lot of the credit goes to this forum and the members who have supported us from the start.

Best regards.

You are absolutely correct and you are an important part of the team Thanks

RE: With CPAP Therapy How Long Do You Sleep - Mosquitobait - 07-19-2016

I STILL have interval sleeping a year after starting cpap; mostly RLS wakes me up. However, provided I got to bed by 11 p.m. (I get up at 7:30 a.m.), I am only taking 2 naps a week and don't have fog brain ALL day (just part of it, usually afternoon). So even with interruptions, you SHOULD improve. If you don't, then there could be another cause beyond apnea giving you trouble.