Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP (/Thread-Doctor-will-not-give-my-PX-need-HELP)

Pages: 1 2 3

Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP - Unloadit - 07-18-2016

So I have been on CPAP for 10 years. My CPAP machine finally died on me and no longer works. So I went online to buy a new CPAP, (paying out of pocket, no insurance) and they contacted my Dr for my prescription, and he will not give it to them! I am without a CPAP machine now and I can't sleep. They say that in order for me to have them give my prescription, they need to see me because I haven't seen them in 10 years (which is true) The problem is, it is a 3 month wait to get an office visit!!! I live in a small town, and this is the only sleep doctor around. Any ideas on what I can do?? I am miserable without my CPAP.

Oh...and this doctor also has his own sleep lab and they sell their own CPAP machines.....and when I went in that office, they would sell me one!!! But I refuse to buy it from him because he won't give me my PX to buy it online for $300 less money. This doesn't even seem ethical. What can I do?

RE: Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP - justMongo - 07-18-2016

Welcome

As a general rule, a doctor won't write an Rx for a patient they haven't seen face to face for some period of time.
Consider if I called up a doctor I'd not seen for 10 years and asked for an Rx for a medication... I'd certainly be denied.

Check out the supplier list http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Supplier-List
All suppliers will require an Rx. However, there are some that can provide a home sleep test; it's reviewed by a doctor; and an Rx is issued.
You can then buy a machine and supplies. But, the home test will cost close to $300.

(And, yes, it does seem unethical that they would sell you one at the doctor's location; but not provide a copy of your former Rx.)
Some online suppliers, like #2 will accept an Rx that's some years old -- I don't know at what point it becomes "stale."

RE: Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP - Unloadit - 07-18-2016

I meant Rx in my post...not Px. Sorry...

RE: Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP - KSMatthew - 07-18-2016

Do you have a family practice/general practice doc you use?

Take your info, records, whatever reports you have, and talk with that one. You might get lucky and he or she will write you a new scrip for your current dosage. You can always ask first, you don't need a specific sleep doc.

RE: Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP - PoolQ - 07-18-2016

I have heard that even a dentist can write an Rx for CPAP

RE: Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP - Sleeprider - 07-18-2016

You might try Supplier #30. Although they offer home sleep tests, they also offer a prescription service based on a questionaire that is reviewed by a physician for $99. That is about the quickest and least expensive way I know to get a script.

RE: Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP - Sleepster - 07-18-2016

I would think that any caring physician who heard your story would write you a prescription.

RE: Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP - KSMatthew - 07-18-2016

Ebay or Amazon? Even if it's used, it buys you time for a new sleep study or whatever. When's the last time you bought a replacement? Even those are supposed to have a prescription. Have you tried the last place you bought a mask?

RE: Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP - Ghost1958 - 07-18-2016

A nurse practitioner or even a dentist can write a script for a cpap machine.

If you know one abit get them to write the script.

RE: Doctor will not give my PX..need HELP - justMongo - 07-18-2016

KSM: Apneaboard cannot suggest that a person obtain a machine without a prescription.
Please refrain for such suggestions.