Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Swallowing air: does a FFM help in preventing it? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Swallowing air: does a FFM help in preventing it? (/Thread-Swallowing-air-does-a-FFM-help-in-preventing-it)

Swallowing air: does a FFM help in preventing it? - Snurkel - 07-22-2016

Next question of my long list. What would you recommend to me: I'm swallowing quite a lot of air, especially during the last two hours of my sleep. I constantly wake up burping and eventually with a rumbling and painful belly. Does a FFM lead to less air swallowing? Or doesn't it make any difference?
Btw; I'm not having a lot of OA's, just mainly hypopneas. I already bought a new (thicker) pillow and raised the head end of my bed.

RE: Swallowing air: does a FFM help in preventing it? - PoolQ - 07-22-2016

I doubt that a FFM will have any effect. You might try changing the flex setting, this setting for RP machines change the pressure curve and you may find a curve that helps.

The only other trick I have heard about is lowering the pressure and slowly raising it as you get used to it. Your profile is cutting off the pressure range and just says 6-,,, it would be the high end that would cause you a problem. Take a look at sleepyhead and see what your actual high end pressure is and decide if you want to drop the pressure down a bit. You may get higher AHI for a while until you get the pressure back up

RE: Swallowing air: does a FFM help in preventing it? - Snurkel - 07-23-2016

(07-22-2016, 06:35 PM)PoolQ Wrote: I doubt that a FFM will have any effect. You might try changing the flex setting, this setting for RP machines change the pressure curve and you may find a curve that helps.

The only other trick I have heard about is lowering the pressure and slowly raising it as you get used to it. Your profile is cutting off the pressure range and just says 6-,,, it would be the high end that would cause you a problem. Take a look at sleepyhead and see what your actual high end pressure is and decide if you want to drop the pressure down a bit. You may get higher AHI for a while until you get the pressure back up
Thanks PoolQ, I will lower the max. pressure and see if I can build it up slowly again from there. I put "..." behind the "6" because I am experimenting with the max. pressure. APAP 6-20 gives the best result up to now, but, as expected, also the most burps. I probably went to quick to 20 and will start over building up, starting at 6-10 now.

I asked about the mask because I was thinking that since I'm (originally) a mouth breather and don't have any obstructions, I could benefit from a FFM in reducing my air swallowing. But maybe I would still swallow the air with my mouth instead of inhaling it, I don't know.