Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
REMStar DS550 APAP - 15 days - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: REMStar DS550 APAP - 15 days (/Thread-REMStar-DS550-APAP-15-days)

REMStar DS550 APAP - 15 days - mjbearit - 07-18-2012

So, I have been using my new machine, and gathering data for exactly 15 days now.
The machine. I still think this machine is the bomb! I have only the old iron lung I was using before to compare it to, but I actually still love this machine (as much as one can love an xPAP!). It is way quiet compared to the old machine. My mask makes way more noise than the machine ever does! I love the new "comfort features"! In the old days it was just a ramp button, which never really did anything for me! I love the new humidifier too. I think it just works better, well for one thing it has more settings than on and off! I love the fact that it does the whole "Auto" thing! My last sleep study was in 2004 and I hated it so much I never asked for another! This gives me the option to give me the correct pressure for this point in my life.
Data, well what can I say? I love having data! My old machine said how many hours it had operated and it would even tell you how many days you were compliant (not that anyone ever checked....another story). I now know more about my sleep than I ever wanted to, and I completely understand what is going on, whereas before I could not even guess. I have issues trying to understand all of it sometimes, but I suppose this will come with time as well. But the thing is, I know what happened during the prior night. When I am tired I look at my night and I understand why I am tired. I feel good and I know why I feel good! The challenge it would seem, is to replicate the best night and never have the bad nights again! However, we all know that we are human. Sometimes life does not go the way we want it to. For those times I am glad I have an Auto so it can make the necessary adjustments to keep me above the sod.
My current average AHI is 1.68 and overall I feel this is an improvement over my life before I started suckin on the machine again. I have noticed I have 2 good days, then a bad day so I'm not sure what is up with that, but they say anything under a 5 is good so I figure I am not yet over a 4 on any individual day, so I'm good!
Today is one of those "bad days" and at 5 PM my eyes are burning and I am exhausted (I fell asleep twice while I was working today). I was almost at a 4 night before last then last night right at 3, but we have had a death in the family so I expect things like this to take a toll. After this weekend when everything returns to normal I will make the attempt to get more sleep (I'm averaging less than 6.5 hours these last few days and I am an 8-9 hour guy).
So there is my current take on all things sleepy! Sleep-well

RE: REMStar DS550 APAP - 15 days - zonk - 07-18-2012

I'm sorry for your loss. Hope things get better for you.
Normally I need six hours of decent sleep to function like a normal human being - with PAP of course regardless of AHI. I think "how do you feel" is better indicator than AHI but of course others might think differently ...viva la difference

RE: REMStar DS550 APAP - 15 days - mjbearit - 07-18-2012

(07-18-2012, 07:29 PM)zonk Wrote: I'm sorry for your loss. Hope things get better for you.
Normally I need six hours of decent sleep to function like a normal human being - with PAP of course regardless of AHI. I think "how do you feel" is better indicator than AHI but of course others might think differently ...viva la difference

Thank you.

I do agree about the AHI I find that the RERA makes more of a difference in how I feel the next day. But I do believe that if I can get that AND the AHI under control I should be good to go! Currently I am tackling the AHI. I'm not sure how to tackle the RERA other than that the AHI does play a part in it, no matter how small. I suppose I need more information at some point. But I do realize that in the overall scheme of things I have not been compliant for a number of years so I need to give time for everything to settle out also.

RE: REMStar DS550 APAP - 15 days - trish6hundred - 07-21-2012

Hi mj, It's good to hear that things are working out fo you with your new machine, give or take a bad night or two, (Ha-Ha.) I'm sorry to hear about the death in your family, I feel your pain on that one. I lost my mom, to, (of all things,) complications from OSA a couple years ago and I lost my aunt who was her twin sister several months back.
I hope things continue toget better for you.

RE: REMStar DS550 APAP - 15 days - cbramsey - 07-21-2012

(07-18-2012, 07:08 PM)mjbearit Wrote: Data, well what can I say? I love having data!

My current average AHI is 1.68 and overall I feel this is an improvement over my life before I started suckin on the machine again.

Today is one of those "bad days" and at 5 PM my eyes are burning and I am exhausted (I fell asleep twice while I was working today). I was almost at a 4 night before last then last night right at 3, but we have had a death in the family so I expect things like this to take a toll. After this weekend when everything returns to normal I will make the attempt to get more sleep (I'm averaging less than 6.5 hours these last few days and I am an 8-9 hour guy).

My condolences to you on your loss. Hopefully, your sleep schedule will return to normal very soon.

Congrats on your average AHI of 1.68. Congrats

I love the ability to look at my downloaded data. Makes all the difference .

Sleep-well